Anyone ever tried a full in-car computer system? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever tried a full in-car computer system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever tried a full in-car computer system?

I ask this question because I would love to eventually integrate some form of computer into my car for the purposes of GPS, general database needs(I have many projects going at once, and need a mobile form of data storage; plus, I just think it would be cool), and playing music straight from a hard drive in order to avoid the use of cds or mp3 players. That way, with adequate battery storage, I could download music all day in the car, while I went about my business. And oh, by the way, I'll admit I have grown up watching Knight Rider :cool: .

Oh yes! Installing a comp in the console hehe. I have tons of ideas. There are tons of ways to do it. Even a www.sleekline.com comp would make a nice fit.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/1998firebird\" target=\"_blank\">Red 1998 Firebird</a>

Comment

I had thought about it but the expense in a Computer power supply to run off the car is expensive. The cheaper way to do it is to get a DC-AC convertor but then you run into noise problems because the output is not a true AC sine wave. This causes a buzzing sound and will shorten the life of your computer components. They do make computer power supplies that run straight off the 12-18 volts coming from the battery but they are expensive and hard to come by. The rest would be cake...a few laptop hard drives (for shock reasons), the normal computer components and a LCD screen somewhere in the visors or dash (been trying to come up with a place...let me know) and you are set.
      <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Wow! I'm like - ttoootally blown away, like, for sure! [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] Heh, no, I'm not from southern Cali, but those slimline products are unbelievable. I don't see how they can make a product like they do for only $899! That's just amazing. I'm speechless. Just a few years ago, when 233mH was the fastest, I dreamed of just 1Ghz in my car, and I figured that would cost me a leg, but to have 2 Ghz in something only 2" thick is astounding, with all its other attributes. Why are people not buying these for home computers rather than Dell, Gateway and the like. Wow.

DK

Comment

this guy has come close, even has a regular looking outlet in the back seat, and a monitor in the passenger side air bag holder
          webpage
          mcG<br />aim=endlive<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/endlive\" target=\"_blank\">97 firebird</a> ~ wrecked

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X