Just bought XM :) need advice where to mount antenna - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought XM :) need advice where to mount antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought XM :) need advice where to mount antenna

well Im very happy with it...instaleld it on sunday, only place it would fit was in one of my air vents :cool: ..kinda jury rigged it in there...but it works and looks good...I got the Delphi unit...I love it...the only thing thats discouraging when trying to mount the antenna is having a car thats made up of 90% "tupperware" ...oh well...I got it inside the car now gonna have to move it outside though...anyone got any suggestions?...cause it wont stick to the roof good, nor the spoiler at all...I read one post saying it could go in the spoiler...would the reception be the same??...any suggestions welcome ;)

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

I thought of putting it right behind the spoiler, like kind of behind the third brake light, but who knows..

I never got XM for that reason. I didn't want that ugly antenna on the outside of my car.
    1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

Take the casing off, and put it IN your spoiler. I put mine in there a few weeks ago. It's right begind the third brake light assembly. I even posted a thread about it [img]smile.gif[/img] . I haven't had any problems, and the reception is better (fewer dropouts) then when I had sitting in the rear deck.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/edogg_127\" target=\"_blank\">1999 red 38000 Camaro</a><br />Leaking rear main seal (not really a mod though)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by navigatorbob:
        Take the casing off, and put it IN your spoiler. I put mine in there a few weeks ago. It's right begind the third brake light assembly. I even posted a thread about it [img]smile.gif[/img] . I haven't had any problems, and the reception is better (fewer dropouts) then when I had sitting in the rear deck.<hr></blockquote>

great...thanks I new I remembered your post..ok Ill do that now :D ;) thx alot

05' CTS-V

Comment

oh, I have a pioneer receiver mounted in my trunk, and the antenna wires just barely reach, so you'll probably need to buy the extension wires to reach your skyfi up front. Circuit City or best buy should have them.

And make sure you use double sided sticky tape to mount the antenna inside the spoiler [img]smile.gif[/img] . The screws for the antenna case, assuming you have a terk, are torx-8.

I'd like to see how you mount your skyfi. I'm thinking of switching to a true plug and play setup. Right now I use veclo to move the pioneer from my car to my truck (I have a pioneer h/u in each).
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/edogg_127\" target=\"_blank\">1999 red 38000 Camaro</a><br />Leaking rear main seal (not really a mod though)

Comment

y'know...I looked at it and saw the difficulty I would have mounting inside the spoiler besides the fact my dumbas$ screwing the XM antenna up whilst trying to take it apart...since most part of the car is fiberglass and hot glue on paint is not a good thing, I mounted it right before the spoiler on the rear glass with some hot glue...speed tested it last night at 120mph and it worked just fine...I would prefer the look of it inside the spoiler but turned the unit to the "power" mode where you could see how many satelites your picking up and everytime it always worked better outside the car.....and another place you could mount it, which I tried might I add, if behind the locking mechanism for the rear hatch..all metal back there, it didnt work the best, but will save you from having to run a bunch of wires through your spoiler and takeing the casing off of the antenna...didnt work half bad either, about the same as when it was in the spoiler....just another idea ;)

05' CTS-V

Comment

navigatorbob - do u have any pictures from when u did this install.... (u have mail)
              <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

What if you mounted it behind the grille on the front of your car. It might not be so bad.
                Cardomain

Comment

Here's a pic of the antenna w/o the brake light assembly screwed into place:

I have no idea about firebirds and good places to hide the antenna [img]smile.gif[/img] . Can you get into the spoiler like on a camaro? I suspect if you mounted it in the grill your metal hood will cause a lot of dropouts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X