monsoon 500-watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monsoon 500-watt

I was just wondering if the new 2002 model is the only one available with the 500-watt Monsoon sound system? I am buying a new Camaro soon and really want this option - but could save a lot of money if I get a year-old car.
    The Surgeon General never said anything about smokin\' a FORD

All 4th gen f-body came with the option of the Bose/monsoon system. From my standpoint in the mobile electronics world, do not get the monsoon. Its fine if you want a stock system. But the minute you want to upgrade, the monsoon makes it much more complex.

Save yourself the money and get the standard stereo and then pop in a nice aftermarket deck, 4 new speakers and maybe a sub. For the price of the monsoon option you could buy a basic Alpine deck with sub volume control, 4 infinty co-ax speakers, and an MTX aplified thumderform that would fit in the rear hatch were the factory cd changer goes. It would play louder, cleaner and have a ton more bass.
    1998 3.8 M5<br />246.4 rwhp unknown torque<br />2000 Z28 M6<br />393.7 rwhp 380.6 rwtq

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Any ideas on brands that I could use to replace factory deck, speakers, and include subs for under $500? Not looking for competition quality, just good sound inside the car.

Comment

For the CD deck I would definately recommend Alpine. It sounds like their base model Cd would work well, it's the CDE-7870. If you want cd-changer controls then the CDM-7874 would be the way to go. The 7870 retails for about $160 and the 7874 goes for about $200. For speakers I'd say get some Infinity's or Polks EX3's. Those run about $100-120 for a pair. For a subwoofer, you'll probably exceed your price limit, but an 8" self-powered Bazzoka tube only runs about $250 and it has a 100 watt amp built in. Bazzoka has an iffy reputation to most people, but their stuff works. The deck and rear speakers are easy to install. If you go to a Circuit City(they're the only guys who have this) they can sell you a wiring harness for the radio that dosn't need to be wired up, you just plug one end into the Alpine and the other into the Camaro. They also have a harness for the speakers. Install on the fronts would probably run you about $37 dollars, so if you don't know how to take off the door panel, it's worth it.
        1998 3.8 M5<br />246.4 rwhp unknown torque<br />2000 Z28 M6<br />393.7 rwhp 380.6 rwtq

Comment

without subs, what kind of bass would that produce? better than the factory 500-watt system?

Comment

To produce low bass, you have to have a sub. In the Monsoon, you have 2 6.5 inch dedicated woofers. Now those don't do very much, but they will produce more bass than any other 6.5 inch driver you could afford. 4 infintys for example won't produce a whole lot of bass, but they will produce enough that your mirrors should shake slightly, thats what happened in my car. It'll sound good, and be very simmilar to the monsoon. The mids and highs will be much more accurate, but your bass won't be quite as strong. If you added the bazzoka tube, you'd have much more bass than the monsoon.

Comment

Just a tip. Don't bother buying rear speakers, and DON'T buy coaxials. Instead of buying 4 coaxs, buy a good set of front components. This will give you better bass response. You really do need to get some sort of sub though for the best bass. And, you should high pass the components at 80Hz.

I don't pay much attention to Camaro's, but I thought all Camaro's got Bose.

Comment

I personally prefer to have co-ax's in the back pillars just so my passengers don't have to ride around with a bunch of bass. My system is always faded forward anyway so I don't have to worry too much about my sound stage falling off-axes. In my book, co-axs are an easier way to go than worrying about mid-bass drivers and if you really want you can play them as mid-bass drivers also. Other than that, my 10 and 3 12's will supply all the bass I ever need, and from my setup, it sounds damn good, even with the co-ax in the back.

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot. All Camaros come with base, non-Bose systems with the option of the Bose/Monsoon system. Mine for instance did not have the Monsoon, thank God.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ChameleonGreen:
                    Just a tip. Don't bother buying rear speakers, and DON'T buy coaxials...<hr></blockquote>

I would generally agree, but I've been converted recently by an Eclipse product that rocked my world.

Have you ever heard their point-source coax speakers? WOW. I had the 5.25's in my stang, and I kept them (for rear speakers) when I got the camaro. I'll be putting them in soon, just for S & G's

I was skeptical at first, but the 6.5's have a ruler-flat frequency response and the sensitivity is outstanding. They have seperate terminals for tweet and mid, and come with a crossover. I don't know if they're still selling them, but if they are...

I have a buddy with a beamer and some Boston seperates, and he replaced them with the 6.5's and loves them.

Also, MB quart makes some very impressive coaxials. Phase issues asside, there's no reason a well designed coaxial can't sound as good as a pair of seperates. Only hardcore SQ guys can really hear a difference.
                    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jewbacca02:
                      I was just wondering if the new 2002 model is the only one available with the 500-watt Monsoon sound system? I am buying a new Camaro soon and really want this option - but could save a lot of money if I get a year-old car.<hr></blockquote>

From what little I know, the camaro Monsoon system is a 200 watt 8 speaker system and the Firebird one is a 500 watt 10 speaker system, my ex g/f has the 200 watt Monsoon in her 02 Camaro, and it sounds like crap, my 500 watt is much better. I did replace the h/u and the front speakers, the stock h/u is crap. If they do offer the 500 watt, it is worth it over the 200 watt system, plan on replacing the headunit in the future as well as the front speakers. The bass in the 500 watt system is way better. But I am sure the camaro only comes with the 200 watt system, if that is the case, get the plain jane system and replace it.

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Jack ]</p>
                      97 Silver Bird<br />3.8 M5 Bone Stock Engine<br />15.528 @ 88.96 bone stock<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbodyenhancements.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyenhancements.com/</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X