isobarik loading on a stealth box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isobarik loading on a stealth box?

Just trying to get opinions about this? My amp has enough power to push two Eclipse subs, if I choose to buy another one.

I'm not worried about the out-of-phase sub getting in the way of anything. And I know that I'll have to wire it out-of-phase, but is it worth it? My box only has .75 cubic feet of space.

Opinions Please??
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

I have seen a stelth box modded to hold an 8" Solo sub (a square one)....It sounded pretty good, since those subs really only NEED like .6 cubes. I say go for it! You'd be very original.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I have seen a stelth box modded to hold an 8" Solo sub (a square one)....It sounded pretty good, since those subs really only NEED like .6 cubes. <hr></blockquote>

You mean it had 2 8" L7's in a stelath box right, using iso-loading. Or just one L7?
      <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reverend_Ezekiel:

You mean it had 2 8" L7's in a stelath box right, using iso-loading. Or just one L7?
        <hr></blockquote>

No, I think he does mean two subs, not necessarily "square ones". Isobaric not Solobaric. The rule of thum for those is that the chamber needs to be half the size recommended for one of the subs. The idea is to add a few dbs, but I'm not so confident in it. Plus, if it is for a stealth and you still want to store your t-tops, the inverted sub's magnet will probably be in the way.

Comment

Megabass - I'm not worried about any clearance issues with the inverted sub. I don't have t-tops or anything. I guess that the best thing to do would be to wait for you to finish your passenger side stealth box. That might sound a little better, but it adds weight and I don't want that.

Anybody else have any opinions about iso-loading subs?

Comment

My bad Rev, I could have sworn I read Solo-baric. I have seen the Stealth box that fits on the side in out hatch (so you can still have t-tops space) modded to hold a swuare solobaric sub. Sorry.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Isobaric loading is popular in sound reinforcement because the cabinet sizes can be very small, allowing for creative cone area and maintaining the same loudness. Another outstanding benefit is the increase in sensitivity and clarity [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] BUT:

The drawbacks are pretty obvious. Cone area and excursion aren't affected (and therefore SPL is the same) on top of that, you're paying for two woofers that do the job that just one would do with just a tad more power.

I would go for it if you're getting a "two for one" sale, or you already have two woofers and want them in a stealth install. If, however, you're going to buy another woofer to put in the enclosure, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with the investment. [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

That's just my opinion, and if I had the cash, I would do every install with a 7th order box with isobaric loading. (Who's got the space?)

Its up to you of course, if you decide to do it, I would like to know your opinion!

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: Brian Dieckman ]</p>
              Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Oh, something I just thought about. The rule of thumb is .5x the space per loaded woofer, but don't forget to ADD the displacement of the other woofer. (the one on the outside of the box)

Have fun! [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X