Best 6 1/2" speakers that aren't outrageously pricey - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 6 1/2" speakers that aren't outrageously pricey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 6 1/2" speakers that aren't outrageously pricey

I've got a 4 speaker system in my 98 firebird, but I don't really have a lot of cash to throw around. I've also got T-Tops so I can only get 1 10in sub via the stealthbox.

My real question here is what would you guys recommend for 6 1/2" speakers? 2 in the front, 2 in the back. Let me know, thanks in advance for the input.
    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

well what is expensive to you? I would give a nod statistically to inifinity kappa 63.3. they are like 130 a piece or pair I don't remember
    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

I got 2 pairs of sony xplodes for $70 a pair, their three way speakers and their ALOT better then factory speakeres!
      Then: 1997 3.8L Red Firebird~SOLD!~<p>Now: 2002 Atlantic Blue Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

I put sony Xplod 3 ways i my front speakers snd have compalints for the 80 a piar i soent on them. granted the more money the better they sound but the sony's are good
        2002 Silver Firebird M5<br />T-Tops, Whisper Lid, Flow Master 80 series w/ 3\" stainless tips, Holly Powershot filter, B&M Ripper shifter with Leather SLP shift knob, Eurolight conversion kit for headlights. Mods soon to come<br />Raptor style ram air hood, intake kit.<p>my car <a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg</a>

Comment

I don't know a whole lot of about car audio stuff. Would I need an amp to power those 4 speakers? Or would it work with the factory set up.

Pardon my newbiness =o
          AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

for not too much more over the sony's you can get the Cerwin Vega V-mag 603 or 603, cant remember.
            they sound incredible, i have them in my fronts and Rockford Fanatic Hpsomethings in the rear (150 a pair) and the cerwins sound MUCH better.
            i got the cerwins for 5ish the rockfords for 6ish with my bestbuy discount.

Comment

Yeah, I have the Cerwin Vega 602 or 6002's in my front doors, running off a 4 channel clarion amp. It's not a TON of power, but anything is better than the factory deck power or factory amps. They run less than $150 brand new at best Buy. I have been very happy with them, and even when I was TRYING to blow them for warranty purposes, I couldn't do it easily, very nice speakers.
              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

for not too much more over the sony's you can get the Cerwin Vega V-mag 603 or 603, cant remember.
                they sound incredible, i have them in my fronts and Rockford Fanatic Hpsomethings in the rear (150 a pair) and the cerwins sound MUCH better.
                i got the cerwins for 50ish the rockfords for 60ish with my bestbuy discount.

Comment

Forget the sony's. All that glitter and fancy molding is just that. Infinity, Polk, CV are all good coaxials. For just a little more, the JL TR series coaxials are excellent. If you're looking into seperates, go MB Quart. You can find them on Ebay pretty cheap most of the time.

With any of these speakers, you'll be best served by adding an amplifier. The Deck power won't even begin to push these speakers to their limits, but I've been impressed by the power in the Delco Tape heads. You might be able to get by for a while if you're not ready to get into an amp yet. If you are going to keep the factory head, DON'T CLIP THE OUTPUT. The amps in most head units can't tollerate clipping for very long, and you'll damage your speakers pretty easily if you push it too much.
                  Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

People tell me all the time that they prefer the sound of the less expensive INFINITY Reference 605 cs speakers because of there soft dome tweeters, (vs. the harsh sounding ridged dome tweeters in the more expensive models)

Reference series infinity’s can be had for around $100 and are well worth the money.
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1337164726

If you don’t have much $$ don’t even bother with a rear stage, and spend the money on a good 4 channel amp and bridge it to power the font speakers. Later down the road, if you crave more overall volume, buy a set of rear speakers, but make sure they are the same speakers that you have upfront.

Remember the front speakers are what matter; the rest are just “fill”.
                    <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

I just picked up the pioneer premier 6.5" speakers. They have an aluminum molded cone and 3 way with titanium built in tweeters. They are sensitive to over 100 db and have a frequency response of up to 25000 hz. They handle a max of 220 watts max with a 90 watt rms range. I picked them up for $100 a pair but I believe they run about $160 a pair normally. I'll let you know how they sound, I did research on every brand before I bought this particular model and felt that for the money the were the best speaker.
                      That\'s not a tool that\'s a damn brick!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X