New Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speakers

Have you tried some new speakers with the stock moonsoon radio?(I want to keep the stock look of the car)
    Do they sound good? better?
    FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

First post!

I had the Monsoon 10 speaker in mine and just last week did alot of stero work.
    I ordered the MTX 10" concealed sub with amp combo and then Boston Rally speakers, RC620 component in front, Boston FX6 in sides behind driver and RC420 component for rear.
    Installed by a good audio shop total for sub/speakers was around $1050 with another $180 in parts/labor.

The result of all this, keeping the factory head unit and factory Monsoon amp to power it was alot more clarity, and more distinct bass.
    The only change that was made was is from behind the drivers seat those 2 6 1/2 speakers were factory "subs", they jumped signal off rears hatch speakers to make them full range instead, due to it having a low band crossover tied in.

Was is a $1200 difference in sound? No.
    Was it any better then factory? Yes, much.

The bass is good, but not what I expected, it was clear, you could feel it, but it was not extreme, it was alot better then factory.

The speaker clarity was much much better.

The guy doing it whom I will trust as he has done a ton of them said replace the monsoon amp with another, even can mount in same location, and replace the head unit with a 4 channel Alpine 60wx4 unit or so and it would be much much better then it is now.

I found the Monsoon system to be sluggish, slightly dull compared to the Bose my 95 Camaro had in it when I owned that car, now it is about on par with that system.

[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: Bantre ]</p>

Comment

Bantre, no aftermarket amp yet? Do you know how he wired it up? Did you wire your aftermarket speakers in parallel................ interesting......
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

the monsoon runs at 2ohms, most speakers are at 4, you will lose a lot of power wiring your new speakers to 2ohms, you'd be better off buying an amp with some new speakers.

Comment

CAN I REPLACE THE STOCK MONSOON SPEAKERS AND GET BETTER SOUND?

You can but they may not sound their best. The woofers in the Monsoon setup are all 2ohms (Firebird subs have dual 4ohm voice coils that are run in parallel as a 2ohm load). Replacing the factory 2ohm woofers with 4ohm woofers, the industry standard, will cause you to lose about half of the available power and really isn't recommended.

Comment

Ya thats why he suggested I replace the monsoon amp to get much better sound.
            I am not sure how he did it, I did hear him gripe on it , however only 2 speakers in the car are 2 ohms, the rest of the factory speakers are 4 ohms( the rear 4"+tweaters+ 2 of the 6 1/2 that were factory state 4ohms on back)
            Since he rewired those 2 from another location to bypass the built in crossover to get full range I would say that didn't matter.

Yes it sounds tons better then it did Maro, but it will take a amp and good head unit to kick it all off to make it worth the by then $2k investment.

On the other part on amp Maro, like I said in orginal post, he didnt use that channel at all, instead he tied those into the rear hatchback speakers and bypassed the woofer power load due to the mtx sub and voice range issues.

He was pretty good with stuff, used meters, alot of stuff wired in lines, took seats out of car, panels apart everything put in sound material to dampen vibrations.

I could have just yanked old out and put new in myself but it was worth the installation a custom shop charges for a professional job , especially when dealing with factory alarms, amps, wiring and so forth.

I would have bought the amp/unit then but after buying catback, coils/wires/plugs, slp cold air and whisper lid last week as well, ran out of money :(

Any good suggestions on amp/head unit for $600-700 combined?

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Bantre ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bantre:
              Any good suggestions on amp/head unit for $600-700 combined?<hr></blockquote>
              4 speakers and a sub?

Try
              this amp and this head unit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X