Swapping factory CD decks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping factory CD decks

My '98 Camaro has a cassette deck, which I really don't enjoy very much. I'm no audiophile, but I want to be able to play some CD's in my car.

I would've bought an aftermarket CD player the day I bought the car, but I HATE how the aftermarket decks look in the oversize stereo space. They all look gaudy and cheap. I don't want my car to look gaudy or cheap.

I'm looking into picking up a used GM CD deck to swap into my '98. I have a few questions about this process.

1) Which models of CD player will fit mine ('98, 4A, non-Monsoon tape deck)

2) Does it have to be from a Camarobird, or will an S-10, Cavalier, etc. work?

3) Will these units play good quality CD-R's?

4) Is it a drop-in install, or do I have to rewire?

John.
    2003 Camaro 4A, with supercharged airbox mod, 3mm apex seals, VTEC head, and much more.

bump
    2003 Camaro 4A, with supercharged airbox mod, 3mm apex seals, VTEC head, and much more.

Comment

i'm gonna be buying a aftermarket player pretty soon

wanna buy my monsoon cd player from my 99 camaro?

Comment

the monsoon deck wont work in ihs car if he dosent have the amp.. and i am not 100% sure if the 98 cassete deck did.. may want to try the stereo sections on other camaro sites..

~Billy

Comment

Speed Automotive lists the Monsoon decks as able to fit any 97-02 'maro.

http://store.yahoo.com/speedautomoti...o20camocd.html

What gives?

Comment

Have you looked at the Pioneer's? I've got one of these in my bird, I think it looks pretty cool.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...29,521,00.html
            2001 Maple Red Firebird, no ops<br />Whisper lid, K&N Air Filter<br />MBQuarts, PPI and a 10\" JL Audio<br />\"Shockwave\" decal<br />-- I\'m just getting started :) --

Comment

That looks cool, but it's awful pricey. Secondhand factory decks are only going for $150 at most.

Anyone got a clue about the compatibility of Monsoon systems?

Comment

yeah...I'm in the same situation ...
                I've bought a use CD camaro player at ebay...
                I reveive it tomorrow
                FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 1sweetryde:
                  Have you looked at the Pioneer's? I've got one of these in my bird, I think it looks pretty cool.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,14 29,521,00.html
                  <hr></blockquote>
                  :eek: WOW! nice, I love how my Pioneer looks in my car

Comment

I have received the stock CD player...
                    I've put out the tape radio...
                    the cd radio is in place, sound good, look stock...Great!

(If someone is looking for a stock tape radio...mail me)
                    FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

Comment

well

1) Which models of CD player will fit mine ('98, 4A, non-Monsoon tape deck)

-&gt; 98-02

2) Does it have to be from a Camarobird, or will an S-10, Cavalier, etc. work?

yep

3) Will these units play good quality CD-R's?

yes it does

4) Is it a drop-in install, or do I have to rewire?

anntenna and 2 plugs...very easy if you don't have huge hand

Comment

The Pioneer player will fit nicely in your car, and not much rewiring at all if you pick up the harness converters, plus you can pick one up off of E-Bay for about 200.00
                        \'97 \'Bird 3.8 <br />-Black<br />-T-Tops<br />-180* T-Stat<br />-MTX 10\'s (2)<br />-20% Tint

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          4 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X