Someone please help me out w/ Monsoon stereo setup.. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone please help me out w/ Monsoon stereo setup..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please help me out w/ Monsoon stereo setup..

Ok, I have a complete system ready to install in my new car (I yanked it out of my old one). So, I started to replace the factory 6.5s in w/ Memphis 6.5S and I noticed that the front (factory) speakers had two sets of positive and negative wires going to them.

First of all, i have a 98 Z28 now. It came with the Monsoon 6 speaker system. How does that work? While replacing the cabin speakers, I noticed that the rear cabin primarily play the lows while the far rear (hatchback) speakers play the highs. And of course the front 6.5s play full range.
    Ok knowing this, I of course wasnt expecting my new memphis speakers to play full range after installing them in the rear cabin location.

Thats all ive done today. My questions/concerns are:

1) Do i need to be concerned with the dual connections on the front 6.5 speakers?
    2) Will the factory deck come out without locking itself with the theft-lock? If not, how do I disable that so I can sell the monsoon head unit? (which by the way, if anyone's interested give me an offer... )
    3) I plan on disabling the rear speakers all together, do I need to re-wire at all?

Thanks for any info/help!
    Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

If you are running new speakers you must first of course have a new amp to run them off of unless you are running them off the new headunit. The camaro monsoon is actually an 8 speaker system. The fronts are components and count as 2 per side. Do not use the factory wiring. You cant use it since it goes to the monsoon amp. Run new wires for every speaker. If your stock HU has a little red LED that blinks when your car is off then you have the theftlock enabled. Look through your owners manual on how to disable it. If the little LED doesnt blink then no code is set. If you want to disable the rear speakers all together then just disconnect the wire from the speaker.
    <b>1998 Cayenne Red Camaro 3.8 A4</b><br />-Whisper Lid, K&N, manual fan switch, DEI 508D<br /><br /><b>FOR SALE:</b><br />-Whisper Lid<br />-PAC OEM-1 adapter<br />-GM Delco 12 disc CD Changer<br />-MTX 4250D amp<br />-Kicker Free Air subs<br />-DEI 508D Proximity Sensor

Comment

Is the Monsoon HU able to be hooked up w/o an 8 (or 6) speaker setup? Like if i pull it out and install it in a blazer that only has 4 speakers, will that work? Also, my fronts are not components. Its just a 6 speaker setup. Do you recomment any kind of wire?.. since I have to run new wire... (argh)

Thanks for your help!
      Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Comment

If you have the monsoon you do have components in the front which makes it an 8 speaker system. They dont look like the traditional aftermarket components you usually see. It just looks like one woofer. The tweeter is built in, like a coaxial setup, hence the two separate speaker connectors, one for the mid, one for the tweeter.

Im pretty sure GM has used the same type of HU and wiring harness in their vehicles since 94 or 95. Maybe a little later. Anyway, most of the newer GM vehicles have the same type of HU and I have been told they are interchangable. I dont know this from experience though.

I know its a pain but its really helpful to run new wire. I think our cars come with like 18 ga. speaker wire. Thats pretty bad. I have 16 ga. going to my components and midbass subs and, I think, 12 ga. going to my MTX sub. It doesnt matter what brand, wire is wire. Get the cheap stuff. Let me know if you have any more questions.
        <b>1998 Cayenne Red Camaro 3.8 A4</b><br />-Whisper Lid, K&N, manual fan switch, DEI 508D<br /><br /><b>FOR SALE:</b><br />-Whisper Lid<br />-PAC OEM-1 adapter<br />-GM Delco 12 disc CD Changer<br />-MTX 4250D amp<br />-Kicker Free Air subs<br />-DEI 508D Proximity Sensor

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X