question for sound system experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for sound system experts

I was looking on ebay for amps and found one. Does this look like a good deal.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6774
    99 Pewter Metallic Firebird: Flowmaster 80 series. SOLD

NO! Don't buy it. Its cheap Its ghey Its Legacy!
    Their amps probably have a maximum power output of 200 true watts!

Comment

fbird before you drop crazy money in a system or something, understand that watts isn't even half of building a system. I was obsessed with it for a couple years, sold it for a while and also trained to be an installer. That doesn't mean I know everything it just means that I hope I'm somewhat credible! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

For someone in your situation, all you really need to know about is watts and ohms. In plain English, lets pretend ohms represents lanes on a freeway and watts represents the cars that travel on it.

higher ohms = LESS lanes on a freeway
      higher watts = MORE traffic

what happens when you direct 1,000 cars down a 2 lane road? you get a traffic jam. in other words, the road can only allow so many cars to pass at one time.

same goes for an amp... it may have been tested capable of producing 1000watts at like 0 ohms before it became toast but since it is only stable at 2+ ohms you will never get 1000 watts out of it.

Now if an amp says it is capable of producing 300 watts at 4 ohms but you are able to run the amp at 2ohms- figure you will probably see a power output of 600 watts at 2 ohms. (i.e. double the freeway lanes = double traffic flow)

this is hardly scratching the surface.... i only told you how stereo companies measure an amplifiers power output. This has nothing to do with sound quality or what you may be looking for in a stereo.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. Always shop around and ask a lot of questions and come up with your own conclusions don't just take mine or someone elses word for it.

hope you find what you are looking for :cool: [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
      1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

^That guys dumb.

Ohmic value is indirectly related to power out. Its resistance, so the more the resistance, the less the voltage.

When you are shopping for speakers unless you dont know how to decipher Electrical Xmax, and Q, don't even bother with all the numbers what not, just go by what other people say is good.

Didn't click the link, but I saw legacy. LEgacy sucks bro.
        1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

what is a good amp to buy
          99 Pewter Metallic Firebird: Flowmaster 80 series. SOLD

Comment

memphis woohoo i got memphis amp and door speakers. you could go for an all eclipse system. or infinity wow infinity is nice
            96 3.8L V6 Camaro 5-Speed<br />Vroom Vroom<br />No Power Doors / No Power Locks<br />Removed Jack and Spare<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikerob283\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain - Mikerob283</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Speedin96:
              memphis woohoo i got memphis amp and door speakers. you could go for an all eclipse system. or infinity wow infinity is nice<hr></blockquote>

oh boy... :(

Stick with like rockford or something, they are pretty good for what they are. Would be my choice if it was for a first system.
              1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

All you have to know: LEGACY AMPS SUCK!!
                99 Firebird Vert, Pewter Metalic<br />Fast Toys Ram Air<br />Jet Stage 2 Chip<br />17x8 Mille Miglia Emotion II Plus\'<br />wrapped in 245/35/17 Yokohama A520<br />Rhino Perf. Exhaust<br />K&N air filter<br />check pics at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/</a>

Comment

Okay, great amps-Alpine, JL, RF, Memphis, MMATS,
                  PPI, Crossfire, Jensen are good, JBL, Kicker, Kenwood ExCelon, Viper, Directed, Earthquake...Do not buy anything other than these amps, and you will be fine!

Comment

also remember, the higher the SPL sensitivity of the speaker, the less wattage you really need ;)
                    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                    94 comero 3.4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RSFireDog:
                      ^That guys dumb.

Ohmic value is indirectly related to power out. Its resistance, so the more the resistance, the less the voltage.

When you are shopping for speakers unless you dont know how to decipher Electrical Xmax, and Q, don't even bother with all the numbers what not, just go by what other people say is good.

Didn't click the link, but I saw legacy. LEgacy sucks bro.
                      <hr></blockquote>

Sure... if you say so. wtf do you think I was saying in my post? huh... let's think about it.... resistance maybe? and if you read the bottom of the post, i also told him to ask a lot of questions from different people.

i was explaining power output because everyone seems to think they've got some kickass amp because it says 1000 watts on the front or something.

If you're willing to spend some money, phoenix gold is a great amp to go with... the Rockford amps are pretty good but I actually liked the RF amps better 2 years ago because they ran a little cooler.

Basically, if the amp name sounds cheesy, it probably is.
                      1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99firebirdconv.:
                        All you have to know: LEGACY AMPS SUCK!!<hr></blockquote>

yeah and Legacy speakers do too. bought 2 12's 500 watts each blew them both in 3 days with a 700 watt peak amp and I wasn't even bumpin em that hard :(
                        millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

Crap, my bad I thought we were talking about speakers. :(

Comment

Wrong forum guys...

Here
                            We
                            Go---------------&gt; [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]

Comment

C. Palmer, I agree with you somewhat, but watts is important. It also depends a what he is looking for, loud or SQ. You need more watts to be louder, but it also depends on how clean the signal is, box design ect. I have had 2 different amps at the same power rating and one performs better than the other.

Also look at RMS watts, that's more of a true measurement on how the amp performs. The cheaper amps use MAX watts to fool the average consumer into thinking they are better, while good companies advertise RMS watts. Think of RMS watts as constant power while MAX watts is the little extra umph the amp might need for that one low note.

As for your question, American Legacy is alright, it's not the best out there, but it's not the worst either.
                              <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X