upgrading speaker wire worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading speaker wire worth it?

I hav esome decent speaker wire, an decent but old head unit, but got soem pretty nice speakers for free.

WOuld upgrading the wire when I install the speakers really be worth a difference in sound quality?

also can anyone give me a brief description where the stock wires run?

Also any tips on how I would hook the wires into the actual headunit.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
    Would upgrading the wire when I install the speakers really be worth a difference in sound quality?<hr></blockquote>

No. As long as they are not the stock wires (too small) and aren't corroded or anything, you will hear no difference.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

larger cable are less susceptible to interference.

To rewire the speakers just run speaker wire from the speaker to the deck, and then solder or use a butt connector to connect it straight to the wiring harness coming out from the deck.
      1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

having won several sound offs.... the speakers at that level the wire willnot matter

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cole:
          having won several sound offs.... the speakers at that level the wire willnot matter<hr></blockquote>

Who gives a s*** about sound offs? Most people upgrade thier stereo to get it to sound better. Not to win friggen stereo competitions :mad:

I really hope someone else chimes in and agrees with me, so that you can realize what I'm talking about...
          1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RSFireDog:

Who gives a s*** about sound offs? Most people upgrade thier stereo to get it to sound better. Not to win friggen stereo competitions :mad:

I really hope someone else chimes in and agrees with me, so that you can realize what I'm talking about...
            <hr></blockquote>

y do i always see u bashing people?

Comment

because the people i bash are usually wrong, and they insist they are right.

Comment

if he's been in sound competitions. he probably knows SOMETHING. i still don't see where your point differs from his though...? ? ? if you enter sound competitions, he wants it to sound better obviously. i'm so god damn confused.
                \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

Sound competitions are usually for bass, they test the highest SPL.

Most people aren't doing small upgrades to their stereos for that reason, they just want something that sounds better, which doesn't necessarily mean SPL.

Sorry if I'm bashing people, I don't mean to, I just get frustrated easily.

Comment

there are SQL(i believe thats the name) competitions. which when i get everything in order, i will be entering...
                    \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the speaker wire.

I doubt you will notice a difference.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jamie:
                        there are SQL(i believe thats the name) competitions. <hr></blockquote>
                        exactly. That's why I'm a little confused at RS's comment......

As long as the wires are the proper size and are not all corroded.... they are fine.
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96firebird311:

No. As long as they are not the stock wires (too small) and aren't corroded or anything, you will hear no difference.
                          <hr></blockquote>

I have the stock wires....

Sorry I was a little drunk when i worte this originally. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Would it be worth upgrading over stock wiring...

I have noticed a difference in my home system, but they are pretty big speakers putting out a little power.

I have probable enough wire to redo my car laying around, 14 guage, if I remmeber correctly, jsut my experience in car sterioe wire is its like 20 guage, and non-copper.

Loudness, and quality are the key issues, 50W per channel is being pushed form the headunit.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Loudness, and quality are the key issues, 50W per channel is being pushed form the headunit. <hr></blockquote>

If your head unit says 50Wx4, I have learned that it is a scam and that that means 50W max total to 4 channels (Companies out to screw the enduser.) So you are actually getting more like 8W per channel. Get a cheap amp and get some upgraded wire...I have found that that helps a lot. With 4 Kenwood Excelons, a KDC-X659 Head and a 300W Total Max 4ch Amp people think I have subs. The loudness is amazing and the quality is first class.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: speedy-v6-camaro ]</p>
                            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X