Best wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wiring

I have an Alpine v12 MRV500 AMP, and 2 pioneer kinda crappy 12in subs. They are in a seeled (but low volume) custom made (jerry rigged) box. Whats the best way to wire them (detailed explanation) Im kind off a sub retard. I can wire in a head unit very nicely, but the best way to wire subs is beyond me. Not good with impedence!
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

What ohm load subs are they?
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Not sure, I will checkl tomorrow... In case you already know the ohms, they are the pioneers with the "diamond steel" looking cone.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

They are available at different impedances. It's simple to wire them. You need to fall within a safe impedance level with your amp. Remember, the lower the impedance you can wire the subs, generally, the more power you will get out of the amp. However, if the amp can't handle impedances as low as your subs are wired, the coils will fry like onion rings. You have a decent amp. There are two ways of wiring the subs. They are single voice coil(only one set of speaker level input leads). Parallel, or series. Parallel(positive to positive, negative to negative) will yield a low impedance. Say for instance I have two 8 ohm single voice coil subs. Parallel, you have:
        1/8ohm + 1/8ohm = 2/8ohm = 1/4ohm
        Reciprocate:
        4ohm/1 = total impedance of 4 ohms. It's not just half impedance like many people will tell you.

Now Series(Negative to positive, negative to positive) will yield a higher impedance. Just add the impedances. Like with my example for parallel above, say I have two 8 ohm subs:

8ohm + 8 ohm = 16 ohms

Simple as that. Now, most amps are rated around four ohms. So, if your amp is say 500 by one at four ohms, you will generally fall around 250 watts of total power at eight ohms impedance, and around 650 at two ohms. It depends on the amp.
        My guess is, you either have 8 ohm woofers, or you have four ohm woofers. Check the stability of your amp. I'm sure parallel should work fine, that's what I'd reccomend, but I'd need specs to be sure. Hope this helps. Email me at beefyboobies@hotmail.com with any questions. I can draw up diagrams if you need. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X