New speakers need new amp! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New speakers need new amp! Help!

Ok, I just got two Kicker 12s with 150 rms each, and 300 max. After looking at amps, I really don't know what im looking for, I don't understand 300x1, does that mean its a 600 watt amp on a 2 chanell amp? Also, exactly what amp should I get for these two 12s? Maybe a link to an amp or model or something I can take a look at. Thanks for the help, I already have a 300 watt 2 chanel jensen amp, but I want a good amp, and not a jenson!

While i'm posting this, do you think I should get a capacitator? I would like to get one so that my altenator is not being pushed to hard, and mainly because when I turn on my rear defrost, my battery needle jumps down below 12 volts, sometimes below 11. So what do you think?
    Then: 1997 3.8L Red Firebird~SOLD!~<p>Now: 2002 Atlantic Blue Dodge Ram 1500

Just a suggestion, but Get a cap anyway. 1.0 farad minimum if you plan on pushing your 12s pretty hard or upgrading in the future. A .5 farad will work in you're case though. It will help protect your alternator.

Peak wattage means practically nothing. Pay closer attention to the RMS wattage. You're subs are 125 watts RMS each (@4ohms I hope). That means you need an amp that will push 125 to maybe 200 watts by 2 channels @ 4ohms. Or, you can look for an amp that is rated at something like 125-200 watts by 1 channel @ 2ohms. Then, simply wire the subs in parallel. Each sub will then "see" the 125-200 watts. P.S. You can get by with pushing a little more power to the subs than rated--the value given is just a guide and you can always turn the gain control down.

To recap, you need an amp thats 200 x 2 @ 4ohms
    or 200 x 1 @ 2ohms. Either will work. You can find some nice prices at www.ikesound.com

If interested I have a used USA 2200 amp that I might sell. It's rated at 200 x 2--very solid amp. Hope this helps.

Steve
    www.subthump.com

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: megabass ]</p>

Comment

I have 12 Kicker Comps, round, 8 ohms and max watt is 300.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Firebrd9783:
        I have 12 Kicker Comps, round, 8 ohms and max watt is 300.<hr></blockquote>

OK, I've re-written my post several times now. Since the subs are 8ohm subs--are you sure these are single voice coil 8ohm subs? If so you'll definately want to wire them in parallel to get to a final impedence of 4ohms. Then, get a good mono amp. 150-200 x 1 should do ya. You could even get something like a MTX 500D (250x1) and turn the gain down some. That way, if you get different subs that will handle more power, you'll be set.

Comment

Thanks, that helps alot, Hopefully I can get the rest of the stuff tomorrow, sorry, but I don't think im going to buy your box, mainly because the guy talked me into the one they have for $119, and I kind of need the extra money left over, but hey, if price wasn't the matter, I would have gotten your box hands down, its the best custom fit box for our cars that i've seen, but ne ways, im going to check out some mono amps right now, Thanks for the tips! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

EDIT: The guy gave me the 8 ohms, because he said something about bridging the subs. I thought I'd let you know incase you have any tips or info on that.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Firebrd9783 ]</p>

Comment

Ok, I found this at crutchfield.com, what do you think?

Kenwood Amp

Comment

That would work too. One thing though. You don't bridge subs, you bridge the amp. Bridging an amp is where you "combine" the channels to increase their output.

Comment

oh ok, maybe thats what he said. Thanks, I hate to bother you so much, but I think I found a pretty good amp, and its only $109 at sounddomain.com, its a crunch and it has 500x1 bridge

Amp

If you think this will be good, I'll get it, if not, i'll just go with the kenwood. Once again, thanks for your help, sorry for all the trouble!

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Firebrd9783 ]</p>

Comment

Sorry, but forget the crunch it's junk. Kinda like Jensen.

Here's a short list of decent amp for the money

Kicker
                  MTX
                  Rockford Fosgate
                  JBL
                  JL Audio
                  Kenwood
                  USA

I may have left some out, but try to pick something off that list.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by megabass:
                    Sorry, but forget the crunch it's junk. <hr></blockquote>

This is true. I made the mistake of buying one of those POS Crunches and found the ways of quality amps.

Stay away from off-brands like that.

-Mike
                    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X