all u sony haters out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all u sony haters out there

why does everyone hate sony????i mean i know there subs suck because all of my friends have blown them at least 3 times, but whats wrong with there head units, because im lookin to get a new head unit for 300 or less, so what would u all recomend?? thanks
    Bryan
    1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary<br />T-tops<br />Black with silver racing stripes<br />17\" Yokohoma tires w/American racing Snipers<br />2-10\" Pioneer IMPP subs with 700 watt Pioneer amp and Pioneer reciever<br />K&N filter<br />Flowmaster cat back exhaust<br />tailight blackouts<br />painted vents<br />***soon to be N20 i HOPE but, I am still deciding***

I recommend Eclipse HU's. However, with only 300 bucks it would limit you to their lower end stuff. Keep in mind that their "lower end" stuff is GREAT by the standards in that class.

You might try a Kenwood or Pioneer, they have some decent stuff for under $300.

Sony sucks because their stuff breaks, skips, and generally either sounds like crap or falls apart. Our very own moderator MTMike has finally chosen to ditch his Sony POS for a nice Kenwood unit.
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

Preach on, Reverend! Testify! LOL [img]smile.gif[/img] Sorry.. couldn't resist [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sony CD Players are sub-par, IMO. The skiplOd.. er I mean XplOd... I have has a serious skipping complex. Particularly with CDR's on cold days, or on hard bass hits. That's 100% unacceptable to me, considering I burn most of my music, I live in the frozen tundra of Montana, and I have 2 12's pounding in the back.

My previous sony, in my old car had the same complex, as does the sony in my brothers S-10 Blazer, as does v6maro's Sony and the list goes on.

It's just my experience, and that of a number of people I know, that Sony CD players aren't built for high-power systems.

Sony CD players are water under the bridge for me now.... on to bigger, BETTER CD players.

Side note: I am keeping my Sony XplOd 6.5" door speakers, and will be adding 2 more to the sail panel here soon. I like the sound they put out, and feel for their price, they're a sufficient speaker for my wants/needs. Unless of course, the Kenwood is too good for them [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mike [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

They're "ok" but you'll never see me buying one. Everyone so far is right from what I saw. They break, they skip and overall just aren't that great.

For $300, you've got more options than sony. Eclipse is really good stuff, but my experience with them (1 personal and two friends) is that they over head. Plan on doing something to keep them cooler or else they'll shut down. Alpine makes great midgrade and high end stuff, but not so great low stuff. I've seen more problems from installations with pioneer than all other brands combined. low end pioneer = Rampage (from target) [img]smile.gif[/img] Kenwood isn't too bad, but again, stay away from the low end. A $300 deck should keep you out of the gutter models. There's plenty of choices for $300.

I'd look for something that had 3 sets of outputs for building on later (pay now or pay later).
        Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

i've had to replace 2 sony headunits, both skipped, one stopped reading cd's at all. d@mn best buy wouldn't give me my money back, just another player, so i've got sony again :mad: it skipps too, and its the most expensive one best buy carries :(
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

I have seen more fried sony amps than you can shake a stick at.
            Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

You know, Sony isn't bad at all. If you want to buy your Stereo equipment from WalMart, then you're gonna get what you pay for. But what about Sony ES? You know, the thousand dollar a piece subs, and decks for two grand? Every company has it's bottom end, and it's top end. Just because Sony Explode subs fry like onion rings, doesn't mean their ES subs do. Sony makes stereo equipment for every wallet. It's sad that you don't see much of their top end equipment around, because it is spectacular. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
              Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

Agreed ES is awesome...They are made only for the true enthusiast who wants to compete and show in SQ. Starting at $15,000 it better be good, and it is. I ahd the privelage of hearing one ES set-up, looked great, sounded even better. But their low end stuff, meh. Just as a note, ANY deck will skip. I have had 3 Eclipse decks, all have skipped when they got dirty here in West Texas, my Sony skipped the same. I reccomend you get yours cleaned every few months anyway, just to be safe. When I clean my Eclipse deck, it plays great again. Also, decks with motors, if they get a little dirt in the mecanisms, bad things can happen. That's why around here JVC's Kameleon has such a bad name.
                <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Yeah, you're right. I love the Eclipse decks, I'm thinking or buying one. And yes, dirt is evil to decks. I too have heard plenty of ES sysetms. And my god, they are beautiful. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

Actually, I have the MP3 Xplode deck, forget what the numeber is.... but it's the bomb-diggy!!!!

I endded up taking it out of my car (cause I got a Clarion in-dash LCD w/ a changer), and installing it in my fiancee's Xterra....

She loves it!

I have to say it was 275.00 well spent!

My $0.02
                    I\'m getting too old to have to choke the **** out of you

Comment

I have had a kenwood Excelon (forget the number 7 or 8 series) and I have never cleaned it. It never skips and plays CD-Rs like brand new cds! It plays cds that my home stereo or computer won't play! (my home stereo CD player is Sony... hmmmmm). My friend has a Sony (Explode [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and his works very well too though. He has a LOT of bass from an all sony system. But he did buy extended warrantees!
                      1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I have to say, some of my favorite decks are the Kenwood Excelon's. I used to have a 915, the best at it's time. Gotta love the 5v preouts. Anyway, when I was referring to the Xplode series Sony equipment, I didn't mean that it was junk. I feel like I may have offended some enthusiasts. I was just explaining how Sony makes some amazing top end equipment. There is nothing wrong with Explode. When I see it in a car, I don't think bad thoughts at all. It's a very affordable product, that's why a lot of people think it's junk. Sorry for any flames I may have started. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

I have had experience with the Xplod series and they do skip... A LOT!
                          Red 96' A4 Firebird
                          Audio Audio and Autotek
                          Check it out here!

Comment

You can get a medium grade Alpine for under $300 they are awesome my brother has one.
                            <a href=\"http://www.saintsworth.com/z06\" target=\"_blank\">\'02 Corvette Z06</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96firebird311:
                              I have had experience with the Xplod series and they do skip... A LOT!<hr></blockquote>

That's why I call them SkiplOd :D
                              <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X