running a 0 gauge wire in an f bod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a 0 gauge wire in an f bod

hey guys, whats the best way for me to go about getting a 0 gauge power wire from my batt to the rear hatch? i know about the grommet, but the 0 gauge is a bohemoth!
    Black 1995 3.4L V6 \"<b>THE BLACKBIRD</b>\"<br /><b>Performance Mods </b> K&N Fipk, Hypertech Underdrive pullies, Accell Coilpacks, and wires, rapidfire plugs,180 degree thermo, 1LE Tranny Mount, Z28 Catback W/crome tips B&M Ripper shifter<p><b>Appearance mods</b> 2 1/2% Limo tint all around, Blacked out taillights, turn signals, and side markers, red PONTIAC rear Inlay, 98+ style centerplate bird and graphic<p><b>Stereo System</b>Panasonic Cqdf 800u head unit, 2 MTX thunder 280 amps bridged, 2 Cerwin Vega AI 12\'s on the rear deck, 6x9\'s in the rear sail panels, Monsoon Door panels With Memphis Audio 6.5\" Coaxials and tweeters, 1 farad EFX cap.

where that grommet is, move the wires to the side, and drill the hole a tad bit bigger, should work now.
    -Steve

Comment

What in the name of all that is holy are you running 0ga for? Just curious. You know you've got over 220 amps worth of pipe there, right?

I would love to see the system that warrants 0ga wire.

(I used to have a Soundstream Tarantula, it required 2ga and that was rediculus!)
      Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Good luck getting that wire to hide. I would run it under the car and up through one of the grommets in the bottom of the trunk.
        Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

lol, well i plan to ran an MTX 8100D and an 6152, i was thinkin that 0 gauge would be overkill, but do you think that 2 GA will get the job done? i
          dont wanna starve the amps of juice

and i doubt that 4 gauge will cut it
          Black 1995 3.4L V6 \"<b>THE BLACKBIRD</b>\"<br /><b>Performance Mods </b> K&N Fipk, Hypertech Underdrive pullies, Accell Coilpacks, and wires, rapidfire plugs,180 degree thermo, 1LE Tranny Mount, Z28 Catback W/crome tips B&M Ripper shifter<p><b>Appearance mods</b> 2 1/2% Limo tint all around, Blacked out taillights, turn signals, and side markers, red PONTIAC rear Inlay, 98+ style centerplate bird and graphic<p><b>Stereo System</b>Panasonic Cqdf 800u head unit, 2 MTX thunder 280 amps bridged, 2 Cerwin Vega AI 12\'s on the rear deck, 6x9\'s in the rear sail panels, Monsoon Door panels With Memphis Audio 6.5\" Coaxials and tweeters, 1 farad EFX cap.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reg Kmet:
            lol, well i plan to ran an MTX 8100D and an 6152, i was thinkin that 0 gauge would be overkill, but do you think that 2 GA will get the job done? i
            dont wanna starve the amps of juice

and i doubt that 4 gauge will cut it
            <hr></blockquote>

What's the total nominal and peak wattage of ONLY the components pulling off the wire?

4 awg should be good for around 1600 watts,
            2 awg should be good for around 2200 watts, and
            0 awg should be good for around 2700 watts.

-Mike
            <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Ok folks, the gauge of wire you need has nothing to do with the number of watts your stereo system is running....It is all about CURRENT! Check your amps specs and see how much current you are running, and IASCA and many other orgs have sheets that say what size wire you need. Also, over-killing the stuff with too big a wire? I don't think so! Big is better. Ask any pro.
              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
                Ok folks, the gauge of wire you need has nothing to do with the number of watts your stereo system is running....It is all about CURRENT! Check your amps specs and see how much current you are running, and IASCA and many other orgs have sheets that say what size wire you need. Also, over-killing the stuff with too big a wire? I don't think so! Big is better. Ask any pro.<hr></blockquote>

That's 100% correct, yet completely incorrect and uninformed at the same time

Simple electronics, man. Voltage (E) times Current (A) = Power (P) E*A=P. Current is directly proportioanl to power, and vise-versa.

1600 watts at 13.8 volts is 120 amps
                2200 watts at 13.8 volts is 160 amps
                2700 watts at 13.8 volts is 200 amps

I was just making it easier for him, since amps aren't rated in current. I know of alot of 500 watt amps, but not too many 50 amp amps.

Another way to look, is what is the total fuse rating of all of the equipment. You can go off of that and base your wire selection on that.
                <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

that amp is known for starting on fire!!!!!!!!
                  so if i was you call mtx and tell them what you are planing to run and they will recomend somthing. I have seen two that have started on fire, one was under powered "starving for jucie and the other had to much. if i was you i would get another amp.... don't take the chance with your car. fire is a bad thing.

good luck
                  1995 trans am

Comment

That particular ampli"fire" (haha) had problems with the voltage sabilizing circuit. It wasn't able to handle severe spikes and dips in voltage and the circuit would overheat. It didn't have anything to do with having an inapropriately sized "juice line." The three instances I know of, the amplifier was mounted in an area that didn't allow for the heat to be disipated well enough, and all three ignited a piece of paperboard that surrounded a connector. No damage other than the amp itself) in any of the cases I've heard of. (There's not much of anything in an amplifier that's flamable. the fire just burned up the surround and a couple of LED's on the amp. It stopped there)

If you add up all the fuse ratings in your system and add about 10% and then fuse at the battery and splits, you should be fine. I agree on the "bigger is better" philosiphy.. I was just curious to see if he had some monster amp or something.

-Brian
                    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

buy the JL audio 1000/1 and you'll have all the power you need.
                      -Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X