monsoon stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monsoon stereo

OK I have a 2001 camaro with the monsoon system, Problem - the prior owner must have liked the rear seat piller speakers and took them with him when he traded the car in. I went to buy replacement speakers and was told by two different "stereo experts" at two different specialty stores that only the original factory speakers would work with the monsoon deck and amp.Anybody replace just the speakers on this system?Any ideas why aftermarket would not work?
    99 Dodge Quadcab<br />Traded: 2001 Camaro(will be missed)<p>Be wary of anything that can bleed for 5 days and live....

From what I understand, it's wired similarly to how the Bose systems in earlier 4th-gen F-bodies were, and you couldn't upgrade one component without upgrading the entire package. It has its own seperate amp (not built into the receiver like many aftermarket headunits), among other things. Perhaps someone can give you some more useful info as to why aftermarket speakers won't work. I will say that the rear speakers are mostly your subs, so it's important to try & either get a subwoofer for the car, or get the factory speakers to go back in place of the missing pieces.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Thanks, I will most likely try to find factory replacements.
      99 Dodge Quadcab<br />Traded: 2001 Camaro(will be missed)<p>Be wary of anything that can bleed for 5 days and live....

Comment

sorry, fin.... The monsoon only has one amp. The tweeters a powered off the hu and everything else is powered off one amp in the spare tire well. The problem is the speakers are some crazy ohm. Your best chance is to find a replacement off ebay or the dealer. I dunno how many miles you have but you could try to have them replaced under warranty.
        Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
        "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
        http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

Ahh, that explains it....I'm not as big into into car audio like I used to be. Thanks for the info Keith [img]smile.gif[/img]
          2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Yeah My brother and I were looking at some service manuals last weekend pondering putting aftermarket speakers in my TA.... I don't think it would work well. I don't remember exactly, but the speakers were like 1 1/3 ohm or something...
            Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
            "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
            http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

i have a question, you say the HU powers the tweeters, and the amp powers the rest, so what happened to the other 2 channels? "10 high-performance speakers and an 8-channel, 500 watt amp." as quoted from owners manual. Bridged maybe?
              CAI, Flowmaster, Audiobahn Flame Q 12, 600w RMS, Panasonic cq-dfx883u, Lightning Audio 6.5 3 ways<br />check out my page<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/redfirebird15/lst?.dir=/Red+1997+v6+firebird&.src=ph&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">my car</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redfirebird15:
                i have a question, you say the HU powers the tweeters, and the amp powers the rest, so what happened to the other 2 channels? "10 high-performance speakers and an 8-channel, 500 watt amp." as quoted from owners manual. Bridged maybe?<hr></blockquote>

I don't understand what you're saying. What other two channels? Also, Bird's only have 10 speakers. Camaro's have 8 total. Dunno why they're different.
                Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

im sayin there are 4 tweeters, 4 midbass, and 2 coaxials=10 speakers. Monsoon amp has 8 channels (it says in the manual). HU powers tweeters, which leaves 6 speakers, right? 8 channels minus 6 speakers equals 2 left over.
                  CAI, Flowmaster, Audiobahn Flame Q 12, 600w RMS, Panasonic cq-dfx883u, Lightning Audio 6.5 3 ways<br />check out my page<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/redfirebird15/lst?.dir=/Red+1997+v6+firebird&.src=ph&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">my car</a>

Comment

Wow this thread was started almost a year ago.

Also 2 front tweeters Powered by headunit+8 speakers powered by amp = 10 speakers in the bird.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 2001 Green machine:
                      Wow this thread was started almost a year ago.
                      <hr></blockquote>
                      Yeah, what made someone bring the discussion up? I give mad props for whoever did a search before posting first! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                      Whisper Lid/K&N Intake, NOS 5175 Kit w/ Polished Bottle, Moser 3.42\'s w/ Auburn LSD, SLP Ram Air H.O. Hood, Pacesetter Ceramic Coat Headers-3\" in/out hi-flo cat, 3\" I-pipe, Edelbrock Muffler, Boyd Coddington Smoothie Two\'s

Comment

I the monsoon system on my 98. The only difference I found with the monsoon system and the new speakers was the old speakers had four connections. I just capped off two wires and used two on the new speakers and it sounds OK.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X