Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick answers needed...

Ok, Im a big "do-it-yourselfer."

I just bought a nice phoenix gold amp off a friend of mine and I dont want to pay for a crappy install that i'll just end up re-wiring anyways...

I currently have a memphis 200x1 amp running for my sub- its hooked up to my rear pre-outs.

I just ran a rca wire from my front preouts to the back for this amp. oh, its a 4 channel amp (im finally amping the cabin spkrs.)

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Do i need another power cable for this? I have a 10 guage for the memphis already. Im running a 8 guage right now (hoping for a reply by the time im done.) If i dont need a seperate power wire and i can use one for both amps then i'll pull the 10 guage out.

2) All i need to do is power this amp up, ground it, and hook up the rca's to the front input connector, right? It has inputs for Front Input, Rear Input, & Aux Front Out.

Im going to have more questions about the controls im sure, but as long as I get it powered up and dont blow anything up, i'll be very happy!

someone please reply fast [img]smile.gif[/img]

thanks a lot!!

[img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
    Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Ok, another Q...

On the power section of my amp it has 3 connections. I know ones for the power (12v), ones for the remote turn on, and ones the ground. But, which is which??

Im showing [ 3+ ] [ B- ] [ R ]

The B is either a B or an 8.
    Im guessing the R is for remote and the positive is for the 12v, making the negative the ground.

But i just wanted to double check.

Thanks! and sorry im a moron! [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
    Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmeccia:
      Ok, another Q...

On the power section of my amp it has 3 connections. I know ones for the power (12v), ones for the remote turn on, and ones the ground. But, which is which??

Im showing [ 3+ ] [ B- ] [ R ]

The B is either a B or an 8.
      Im guessing the R is for remote and the positive is for the 12v, making the negative the ground.

But i just wanted to double check.

Thanks! and sorry im a moron! [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
      <hr></blockquote>

The R is for the remote turn-on from the HU--You knew that already.

The B- is the Ground and the 3+ or whatever is the Power input. You don't have the manual

Anyway, If this is a second amp, there is no need to run two power cables to the trunk. Pull the 10 ga out and put in the 8 ga. (which should be OK in your case. Attach a distribution block to the end of the main power wire you ran from the front. Then run shorter wires from each amp and connect them into the distribution block.

If you only have one set of RCA cables, you can split them with "Y" adapters and run them to each amp. If you amp has a set of pre-outs, you can use those instead. This is assuming you have the proper high-pass or low-pass crossovers built into the amp. If not, you will need an electronic crossover because you don't want to be feeding all frequencies to the subs and the highs.
      One suggestion: I would recommend a capacitor. Wire it in-line with your subwoofer amp. This will give you better bass response because the amp won't be starved for current. I usually recommend at least a 1 farad cap, but some go with a .5 farad cap. Might save your alternator down the road. Hope this helps.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: megabass ]</p>

Comment

I disagree, 8 gauge is probably too small for those two amps. Memphis and Phoenix both pull some current. Which Phoenix amp is it? Regardless, I'd almost bet you need 4 gauge, and then a distibution block. Also, if it's an older Phoenix amp like the ZX350, you'll need some high output voltage from your deck. Those amps need that kind of voltage or they'll fry themselves. Need about 5-10Volt deck output. But that's just a suggestion.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I guess it woul really depend on how big the second amp-(the Phoenix gold)is. If it's something like 50x2 or 50x4, then the 8 ga. would suffice. However, if this amp turns out to be bigger--say 100x4 or something, then yes, you need to upgrade to 4 ga wiring.

At 16 feet, 8 ga. wiring is capable of supplying 65 amperes of current or around 435 RMS watts from all the amps combined. I still say if the sub amp is only 200 watts, then you're fine, but if you upgrade any of this, 4 ga. would be needed. My .02

Comment

i'll get the model # off of it tomorrow (daylight). I didnt finish hooking it up today... i ran out of daylight and i didnt want to take chances. i believe it's a 75x4 amp... but ill confirm tomorrow with the model numb. thanks for all the help/info!!

Comment

Also remember Phoenix Gold ahs always rated their amps VERY conservatively for competition purposes. The ZX350 was rated under 300 watts, but pushed about double that. Better saf than sorry for sure! You won't regret upgrading power wire now, instead of later.
              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Don't you HAVE to have a 4 to 5 volt preout to even keep the warranty on most Pheonix Gold amps (especially titanium series)? Make sure your deck can produce it. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camaro Bob:
                  Don't you HAVE to have a 4 to 5 volt preout to even keep the warranty on most Pheonix Gold amps..<hr></blockquote>

It's the XS4300 amp. If any of you are familiar with it, please tell me about it.

Secondly, I bought this off of a friend. So no warranty...

I have a Kenwood KDC7011 head unit. I dont believe it have a preoutput rating. That year I believe the 7011 was the model under the Xcelon units and they had the preouts.

Ive had classes all day today so ive made no progress on the install, but tomorrow im going to go get some 4 ga wire (if thats what everyones still saying.)

Thanks again everyone! Man, I love this board!
                  :D [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, get 4 gauge. I "think" that model of the Kenwood head unit had a 5V pre-out, but don't rememebr. Either way, you're fine in that area, b/c Kenwood has 4V on their other decks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X