HVAC Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC Controls

I had the local shop here chasing electrical gremlins, and it came back from them with a new one. This car...:spank:

The HVAC system isn't very responsive when changing vent selection. It changes to the floor vents fine, but likes to stay there. It'll eventually switch back to dash vents after some driving if the selector is left there. It almost seems like some paper or something is getting sucked up against an internal vent somewhere and blocking it. I couldn't find anything obvious in a look, but I've never really messed with the HVAC stuff in a vehicle. Any suggestions?

Re: HVAC Controls

I would start by checking the vacuum lines and their connections by the pass rear of the engine compartment for a vacuum leak.

Comment

Agreed, There is a vacuum tee/check valve thing that supposedly cracks with age. Even if it looks OK, you can still remove the hose that leads into the firewall, which will be the hose that operates the vacuum HVAC controls. Attach a vacuum pump and then when you have a vacuum, try operating the controls and see if they work better.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Vac leak eh? My brakes are really ****ty too, possibly related?

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
          Vac leak eh? My brakes are really ****ty too, possibly related?
          The breaks and hvac are 2 different things. There's no way it can be related.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
            The breaks and hvac are 2 different things. There's no way it can be related.

Doesn't HVAC get its vacuum from the brake booster? In a roundabout way

Comment

And the the intake has the MAP sensor, that's got a line going to the FPR, and I think the other one goes to HVAC. And seeing as HVAC controls work without the compressor, condenser, lines, or any refrigerant... and our cars don't have air pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                Agreed, There is a vacuum tee/check valve thing that supposedly cracks with age. Even if it looks OK, you can still remove the hose that leads into the firewall, which will be the hose that operates the vacuum HVAC controls. Attach a vacuum pump and then when you have a vacuum, try operating the controls and see if they work better.
                Exactly right.

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                Doesn't HVAC get its vacuum from the brake booster? In a roundabout way
                No. Everything vacuum related gets its vacuum from the engine. It could be related if you have a massive vacuum leak.

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                And the the intake has the MAP sensor, that's got a line going to the FPR, and I think the other one goes to HVAC. And seeing as HVAC controls work without the compressor, condenser, lines, or any refrigerant... and our cars don't have air pumps.
                HVAC controls have nothing to do with the A/C compressor components. The vent distribution system works off of vacuum, nothing more.

Check the vacuum line and the check valve.

Comment

What happened to my post? I had explained oh well lol but yeat ^^^^ he pretty much said what I was going to say

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                    What happened to my post? I had explained oh well lol but yeat ^^^^ he pretty much said what I was going to say

I had a post "mysteriously disappear" too... And mine didn't even include any wrong information, just a question to help clarify what was being asked...
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                      HVAC controls have nothing to do with the A/C compressor components. The vent distribution system works off of vacuum, nothing more.

Check the vacuum line and the check valve.
                      That's what I was saying. I don't have any AC components and blend doors and controls work fine. I just had the vacuum source backwards.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        4 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X