Swap for steering wheel controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap for steering wheel controls

Anyone here ever swapped a steering wheel without radio controls for one WITH radio controls?

If so, did you find the wiring to the radio already in the steering column harness or did you have to add a wire?

Re: Swap for steering wheel controls

This might be of some help: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...radio-controls

I have a black steering wheel from an '00 Camaro with radio controls if you need one.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Well that doesn't look fun.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        Well that doesn't look fun.
        X2 looks like alot of work.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          This might be of some help: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...radio-controls

I have a black steering wheel from an '00 Camaro with radio controls if you need one.
          Read that link but the guy who wrote it started with a car having a base sound system. My car has the uplevel (Monsoon) system.

In what condition is the 00 wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
            Read that link but the guy who wrote it started with a car having a base sound system. My car has the uplevel (Monsoon) system.

In what condition is the 00 wheel?
            IIRC, the sound package shouldn't make a difference on the harness near the steering column. My car had the Monsoon package as well and I was looking at swapping out the steering column and BCM (if necessary). There are a few more threads about it on here, FTV6 and LS1Tech.

The steering wheel is in fairly clean condition. I'll have to pull it out of storage to get some pics, but I remember it having little to no scratches and no peeling. I never installed it, so cant tell you the condition of the buttons or lights, but RMS Auto Supply carries replacement buttons. It does need an airbag however.
            Last edited by pace2006; 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM.
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I'd appreciate a couple of close up photos of the rim of the wheel. That's where mine is really crappy.

I have all the tools to pull the wheel. I also have the SIR on my old wheel which I, hopefully, can transfer.

What wasn't real clear from the other thread is if the harness from the column in a base car includes the wire needed for the wheel controls to work.

I did understand about having to change the SIR coil/clock spring.

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is all the used wheels I've found that are in good shape all have the radio controls.

Haven't found a good base wheel, so far and both of the steering wheel recovering shops I've contacted won't do a 4th gen Camaro wheel.

Comment

I'll get it out this weekend and get some pics.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Wow read that how to post. F that.... I really would love steering wheel controls..... but no way

Comment

Originally posted by Ibanezz View Post
                    Wow read that how to post. F that.... I really would love steering wheel controls..... but no way
                    Yeah....I've gotten away from the idea of changing-out my old wheel for one with the controls. A lot of work and a lot of money to convert the SIR over.

I can't find one of those steering wheel refurbishing shops which will do my wheel so I'm going to try and find a tight-fitting cover for the rim.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X