HID fog lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID fog lights

So I was looking at getting some HID fog lights, but I am not sure what exactly you need to make the conversion. Different websites advertise different required things, some kits I've seen under $50 bucks, some as high as $200+

I can't even find a website that agrees on the same bulb temp/color. I'm wanting a super bright white/faint blue, not that deep true blue, more white than blue. I thought 8000k was the temp.

Could anyone shed some light and steer me in the right direction.

Re: HID fog lights

6000K is mostly white with a definite blue hue. 8000K is quite blue, and quite useless for night driving, especially in the wet.

I had 6000K for about 5 months before switching them out for 4300K because the light was sucked up by wet asphalt which I dealt with all too often and it made everything look ugly in much the same way those awful blue first generation CFL lights do. Your call though.

You'll need an HID "conversion kit" which consists of a ballast, a bulb, and the appropriate wiring. ddmtuning gets a good rep but I haven't dealt with them personally. I used eBay and the kit I got worked just fine.

For the most part, pictures are not very useful for determining color temperature as all monitors display slightly different, but take a look at this picture to compare the relative color of the standard halogen light farther away to the 6000K HID up closer.

6000K is about equivalent in color to overcast.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I'll grab a picture sometime soon... I've got 6000k in my low beams and 8000k in my fogs. Your fogs, if its a Camaro, are already projector lenses so they are perfect for the conversion, while the headlight would need some help to be "correct" for HIDS. With that said, I run mine in stock housings and no issues. As for DDMTuning, I would highly recommend. Kit is extremely easy to use, works perfectly. Only downside is, they ship directly from China so they take a few weeks. I'm very pleased with mine, definitely gives you a much better light source at night, but like previously stated, they do murder your vision if the road is wet.
      Eh... get the point, kinda.
      Last edited by Docta; 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

6000K is your best bet for white light.

I did a lame write up on this awhile back http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ht=HID+finally

Hope that helps.
        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          ...the headlight would need some help to be "correct" for HIDS. With that said, I run mine in stock housings and no issues.
          The issues don't arise for the user when HIDs are installed in a free-form or glass-optic housing. The issue is for oncoming traffic, and the temporary blindness each driver experiences when that user passes in the opposing direction, which, under the right conditions, could cause a wreck. There is no excuse for it.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
            The issues don't arise for the user when HIDs are installed in a free-form or glass-optic housing. The issue is for oncoming traffic, and the temporary blindness each driver experiences when that user passes in the opposing direction, which, under the right conditions, could cause a wreck. There is no excuse for it.
            Well I'll grab a pic if I remember, I have mine basically buried into the ground so I don't blind people... its worse when its a big truck, or SUV which there is a ton of here...

Comment

I have 10000Ks for lows and fogs in my 99. The kit I bought for the fogs was just a 30 dollar eBay kit. Had them in for a few months so far so good.
              3M MAFIA
              ________
              | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
              Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
              sigpic

Comment

on DDMs site, it asks for 35w or 55w? Big difference? pros and cons?

then there's a bunch of accessories they try to sell me like HID harnesses, error elminators, adapter cables, mounting brackets. Not sure what all is necessary.

Comment

and as for projectors, not sure what you mean by that. Do i need different headlights to have them work correctly or is the bulb have to be in that cylindrical housing and that's the projectors?

Comment

Projectors are a lens type. and no you don't NEED them. It's suggested. Mine are 35w. 55w is 40% (they say) brighter, but also get MUCH hotter. I would not use 55w in fogs. I got the brackets, and didn't use 'em. Nothing else applies to our cars. The kit comes with everything you need. Juse use double sided tape to mount the ballasts.

Comment

Yes, you NEED projectors to run HIDs, unless you never go on public roads. They are, in fact, illegal without projectors. If they are being installed in a 98+ Camaro, the FOG lights are already projectors and are mildly acceptable for a 35W HID kit. DO NOT put HIDs in a free form or glass optic halogen housing. Projectors much more effectively project the light onto the road, making them much more useful headlights as the light isn't wasted lighting up the trees and oncoming driver's eyes. 35W kits are all that is really necessary. The amount of additional light over halogen is going to be very noticeable if you had tired halogens. The apparent difference between 35W and 55W is going to be less of a jump, and probably unnecessary.

With how cheap projector housings can be purchased for 98+ Camaros, it's a no brainer. Do it right, or don't do it at all.
                      Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

See my thread to see what 3000K fogs look like. I have 4500K Low beams. Close to pure white as you can get with HIDs.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=105823

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X