water in light housing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in light housing!!

so today i was taking some old stickers and i noticed my directional lights were both half way full of water:(

and i took out the bulbs and all the water rushed out.

next i saw that both bulbs were burnt out including the sockets

i am going to replace it but how can i prevent this from happening again

also i have a trans am front bumper.

any suggestions?

Re: water in light housing!!

It happens to my left turn signal too. If yours is like mine youll have to pull the housing and find where it is leaking amd seal it up. I have a burnt up looking socket too, it still works, but the bulb blows up every 6 months or so, I'm just to lazy to fix it.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

what if i drill holes under it just to let the water drain out? would that work

Comment

Sounds good to me!
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

il post some pics up before and after and when it rains il see the results (in texas)
          also does the lens polish work for the plastic turn signals or just head lights?

Comment

your prob better off getting new housings. You might solve the "filling up with water" issue but that hole will invite condensation within the housing and trust me, its just as irritating. Buy a new pair only $30-40, just do a little searching. I like the bright signal look on the newer european cars so im contemplating switching out the DRL's with mini projectors and inserting some LED's.

Comment

Originally posted by brians00blackbird View Post
              your prob better off getting new housings. You might solve the "filling up with water" issue but that hole will invite condensation within the housing and trust me, its just as irritating. Buy a new pair only $30-40, just do a little searching. I like the bright signal look on the newer european cars so im contemplating switching out the drl's with mini projectors and inserting some led's.
              when you get that done i would love to see a pic u think you can post it when u do it?

Comment

Lol don't hold your breath my friend, I have an intake leak and an exhaust issue to fix first. But yeah I'll certainly do that when I get to it. If your interested I put together projector headlights and I think they are awesome.

Comment

Condensation will get in there with the holes, yeah but after having the lights on for a few minutes it's usually all gone.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                    Condensation will get in there with the holes, yeah but after having the lights on for a few minutes it's usually all gone.
                    Agreed on this. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of my lens to let the water always drain out. The heat from the bulb over the years dried out the plastic lens, hazed it over and cracked it. The water pressure from driving in rain would force the water into the housing, but the crack was tight enough that the water could not drain out.

I would like to either replace the lenses with plexiglas or real glass (thick glass) or put LED turn signals in there. I believe our directionals are the same size as what you see on semi trailers. They may be a good fit.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Depends on the trailer.. So many different types of lights on those things now. If you do go with LED turn signals you have to deal with the flasher since LED's don't have the resistance that normal bulbs do to activate the flasher. I think just a simple inline resistor fixes this problem though.
                      Last edited by Blizzard242; 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                        so today i was taking some old stickers and i noticed my directional lights were both half way full of water:(

and i took out the bulbs and all the water rushed out.

next i saw that both bulbs were burnt out
                        led including the sockets

i am going to replace it but how can i prevent this from happening again

also i have a trans am front bumper.

any suggestions?
                        If you can cover these lights it would be better
                        Last edited by Denniskelly; 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

My 98 T/A had the same problem. There were no cracks in the lenses of either one and the socket seal was perfect, so I did a little experiment: Filled them with water, turned them lens side down and waited. Water was dripping from 2 places on the lens, exactly where the three segments come together. Then I noticed something. The three segments of the lens are not glued together, so water will enter at high speed in the rain even if everything else is plugged, and anytime they are submerged. I coated the whole front of both lenses with clear epoxy and no more leaks.
                          Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X