H.I.D's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H.I.D's?

I did mine in stock headlights with no problems.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

either way, hid installs are very easy. only thing you really need to do is buy the correct bulb type depending on your headlight assembly.

if you're stock - 9006 lows, 880 fogs

if you're projector/halos - check the print on the housing, mine were h3/h4

i wouldnt recommend spending money on doing your highs with HID's unless you have a setup like steve where they come on together. it damages the bulb if you "flick" your lights without giving them several seconds to warm up to full temperature.

4000-6000k temperature will be nearly crystal white, with the scale getting more blue from 6000k and up. in my avatar you can see my 8000k's.

the install is simple, mounting ballasts and plug 'n play relays is really all that's to it. i've probly installed dozens of kits between my vehicles and other friends, never had a problem.

go get a case of beer and get your hands dirty you'll be fine. i've gotten all of my kits from high-rated american sellers on ebay for cheap.
      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Brians00Blackbird View Post
        Yeah hooking them up is no problem, just don't put em in without projectors or you'll piss off a lot of people and the output will suck. Do you have a camaro or a firebird?
        exactly right, HID's are definitely recommended for projectors and not for stock reflector housings due to glare.

when you have them in a projector bulb, there's a sharp "cutoff" line where the light is concentrated and doesnt glare up to blind other drivers. this of course can be aimed and adjusted manually. i've installed kits in stock housings, projectors, halos, and everything in between, and the light visibility is best WITH the projectors. think about an HD screen projector bulb producing a perfectly sharp screen...it wouldnt work with a reflector to make the image.

in stock housings, the light is reflected all over the housings and leaves a scattered pattern in your line of sight, which is what most people do and causes glare and blinding to other drivers. before i got my TBSS, i had hid's in my stock grand cherokee housings and got comments all the time about blinding people...i then switched to a set of projector halos, and problem solved.

take a look at any new luxury car or even the new camaro with projector lenses or halos from factory. hids belong in projector bulbs, but either way, they will work.
        Last edited by BallerMaro13; 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

right, im just pushing using projectors. Your ultimately not getting the most out of the bulb even if you can manipulate the beam in ur stock halogens. the light is still scattered and while it may seem your getting great output, your eyes are tricking you. dont mean to be a douche fellas, ive been down this road, go projector and you wont regret it

Comment

^ agreed.

in the mean time OP, installing kits are very easy and you can just switch the bulb type out from the stock to projector if you ever switch headlights. you wont even have to change the rest of the kit itself.

sigpic

Comment

I'm a little confused on one point - do projectors replace the stock housings or go over the hid bulb end in the stock housing?
              96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

projectors are entirely new headlight assemblies. you take out your old OEM headlight and bolt in the new one with projector lenses built in. then you install your HID kit.

if not, you can just use your current headlights (stock) and grab a 9006 bulb type kit and install it as is.

sigpic

Comment

No doubt that projectors are better than putting HIDs in stock housings; however, HIDs in stock housings done properly are better than stock bulbs...

If you have a 98+ camaro or a firechicken by all means go the projector route, they look good. I've yet to see a 93-97 camaro with projectors that looked good. I've seen some decent ones but it still doesn't look right IMO.
                  In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                  2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X