New tailights for the Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tailights for the Firebird

I bought a pair of new taillights (OK, they are "new" used ones from ebay - but they both are in perfect condition) for my Firebird. My passenger side taillight assembly continued to suffer significant water leaks. When I removed it last week, the entire thing was filled with water. It looks like the assembly holds about a gallon of water.

I have put a bead of marine grade silicone along the top seam of the new taillight assemblies. I'm working on the premise that the new assemblies - especially the passenger side one - will eventually suffer the same break-down as my existing passenger side tailight assembly, unless I do some preventative work on it.

QUESTIONS:
    - What other preventative maintenance can / should I do to prevent leakage of the new taillights?

- Does anyone know why the passenger side taillight assembly is much more prone to the leakage problem than the driver's side?

- My old driver's side one is in good condition - but the one I just bought looks even better. I'm going to sell off the old driver's side taillight on ebay. Do you think there is any market at all for a passenger side taillight with a known crack (I've attempted to seal it along the inside), a pattern of leaking, and faded / damaged silver surfaces on the inside?

"For sale - one damaged 98-02 Firebird taillight." It is a classic example of the Pontiac honeycomb design theme. Maybe I'll stick it in the attic and "American Pickers" or something like that will consider it a classic in another 15 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Re: New tailights for the Firebird

The silicone is a good idea. Although, the only difficulty with that is whether or not you actually sealed the "trouble area." I've heard of this issue with grand prix's but not our cars. Btw, did u let the silicone cure before you mounted the lens?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X