is my alternator going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my alternator going?

Seems like when I come to a stop my volt meter drops down into the red and will stay in the red unless you rev the car up a tad, but once it idles again the voltage drops right back down to red. Sometimes the needle seems to come up and down a few times and fluctuate but as of lately it's staying down in the red most of the time until you start driving again?

Idle on the car bounces between 900-1000rpm

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: is my alternator going?

Sounds exactly the same as when my alternator went....
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

It went intermittent on you? That's what I feel mine is doing.

Comment

It does sound like the alternator is weak. When driving, does the needle go back up close to the third line where it normally is? Or does it go past it, depending on RPM. Just wondering. But basically it sounds like it's shot.

Also, our cars, even with good alternators, have a weird tendency to have the voltage drop at random times, usually when slowing down or at a stop. Just my opinion on that, but I think the PCM controls the alternator and for some reason, turns it off and then turns it back on again.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

It goes back up to just above the half way point, (where it normally sits). Previously it used to drop voltage coming to a stop and then after 2-3 seconds it would come back up to normal voltage, as of lately it drops and stays there unless you get the rpms up to about 1500-1600. I really notice it because my scan gauge tends to almost go offline as the gauge fades almost right out when at a stoplight.

Comment

Sounds then like it was always weak. Mine sits just below the 3/4 mark, and an actual voltmeter reading shows 14.25V.

The dropping and then coming back thing will happen no matter what alternator you have in there, it's something that is inherent to these cars.

I think you just need a new alternator. Stock alternator is 105 amps I believe. If you can, try to get one with a higher rating. That may help.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              It went intermittent on you? That's what I feel mine is doing.
              Yes exactly, the gauge was jumping with the RPMs and once I replaced the alternator I was good!
              In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
              2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Could be your battery also. It is normal for any alternator to drop voltage at idle. As rpm's increase so does the voltage. Check voltage at the back of the alternator post while running should be about 14.5 volts. Also check all cable connections for looseness and corrosion at the battery and alternator posts.

Comment

Battery is new this year ( replaced under warranty) I know the voltage usually drops, but now when it drops it rests in red until you give it gas, and even then its now starting to sit under the half way mark or right on the line when driving. If you are at a light or in traffic you have to two foot it, one on the brake, one on the gas to have the car remain normal.

I just ordered a new alternator off ebay...90$ should be here in a few days, I'm not sure how long the car will keep running as is lol. Right now I think I'll be lucky to get home from downtown tonight in traffic without calling the flatbed lol...oh well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X