need input...upgrade ignition?? pcm? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need input...upgrade ignition?? pcm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need input...upgrade ignition?? pcm?

it's been awhile since i've been on, but i'm think i need to upgrade my bird and thought i would ask you guys.

here's the car and a few of the upgrades:
    2000 firbird 3.8 v6
    95k miles
    ram air intake and hood
    K&N filter (stock baffles gone)
    headers
    2.5" exhaust w/ magnaflow high flow cat and muffler
    (there's more, but they're not important to the post)

at the 90k service, i did new plugs. new wires done around 50k (i think).

i've been having problems with one of the O2 sensors around the cat. the sensor's been replaced, but the "check engine" light keeps coming on. sometimes it smells a little rich, so i thought that i may not be burning all the fuel? i thought about doing an ignition upgrade, as everything on that side is still stock.

i thought about doing an MSD system (iginition and coils) but i've heard some having issues with them. it seemed that their 1st gen stuff was having problems, and that the new stuff is doing ok? i don't know if my stock stuff is doing the job or not...

My mechanic also mentioned i might want to look at getting a tune tool for the pcm; one that i can input the upgrades so that it'll recal the pcm to better monitor what's going on. I have the hypertech scanner (pcm flashed to stock) but i don't know if that'll fix what going on.

any opinions or thoughts???
    thanks.

Re: need input...upgrade ignition?? pcm?

I would stick with stock coils , upgrade the wires though. I would invest in hptuners rather than hypertech.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X