Camaro Driving Lights replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Driving Lights replacement

I had a burned out element but I cannot figure out where and how to put in the new bulb element.
    Is there a bottom section that needs to be removed to access
    the socket?
    Suggestions?

Re: Camaro Driving Lights replacement

Yes, the plastic on the bottom of the bumper cover needs to be removed, or pulled back to get to those lights.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

If you look under your car at the black "shielding" underneath your front bumper you'll find that there are 2 flaps (1 in front of each wheel well) for easy access to your fogs and DRLs. They're held closed by two 10mm bolts each. You don't need to remove anything else to get to those lights! If you do you're just doing waaaaaay more work than you need to.

I just spent all weekend down there working the fogs and signal lamps on my 'bird. As far as I can tell the shielding down there is identical to that of the Camaro.
      sigpic

Comment

SO,if you spent all weekend doing this I should block hours to replace the lamp. Great thinking Chevy! My next car will not be a GM. I met someone today who had 150,000 miles on Prius. GM destroyed all the EVI's they built in CA now Toyota is 6 years ahead of them...and the execs at GM made 8 figure salaries to come up with that kind of poor judgement.

Comment

What?

Its not nearly that hard... If you remove the headlight, you have access to both the turn signal (and driving lights) and the fog lights. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by philbar71 View Post
            What?

Its not nearly that hard... If you remove the headlight, you have access to both the turn signal (and driving lights) and the fog lights. Simple.
            Depends on the year, can't do it that way pre-98. I don't know what year car you have. I know my Camaro did have the access flaps, but the firebird of mine does not. Depends on the year.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
              SO,if you spent all weekend doing this I should block hours to replace the lamp.
              By "all weekend" I meant a good portion of my Saturday since working just a few hours in a 95 degree garage in high humidity will wipe me out for the rest of the day. Not to mention I did a lot more under my bumper than replace a bulb :wavey: If all you're doing is replacing a DRL bulb it will take you 5-10 minutes. Maybe a little longer for a fog light.

I met someone today who had 150,000 miles on Prius.
              Is that a lot for a Toyota?
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah the 93-97 camaros are a pita to change fog light bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
                  SO,if you spent all weekend doing this I should block hours to replace the lamp. Great thinking Chevy! My next car will not be a GM. I met someone today who had 150,000 miles on Prius. GM destroyed all the EVI's they built in CA now Toyota is 6 years ahead of them...and the execs at GM made 8 figure salaries to come up with that kind of poor judgement.
                  For every bone head move chevy makes, every other car maker has made just as dumb a one if not worse....Try changing the brake lights on a vw bug (I think that was the car...gotta take the bumper off...)

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    For every bone head move chevy makes, every other car maker has made just as dumb a one if not worse....Try changing the brake lights on a vw bug (I think that was the car...gotta take the bumper off...)
                    QFT.

Anyway, fog lights are not really made to be run constantly, and an expected life for one would be quite a long time. And besides the fact that most fog light bulbs are not super easy to change, it's not too hard to give up a max of 15 minutes to change one. Get over it.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I've done the DRL's on my 2000 from the top, its tight to get your arm down in there, esp. on the drivers side, but its possible. didn't take me long either.

Comment

take the whole fog lamp out...takes all of 5 minutes...I change mine quiet often because I leave them running usually...most of the time it is the vibration/shock that blows out a bulb on me...it's really not that hard.

For the orange lights, if you don't have an access panel at the bottom, cut it out...pretty sure that plastic doesn't really serve a purpose anyways

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                          QFT.

Anyway, fog lights are not really made to be run constantly, and an expected life for one would be quite a long time. And besides the fact that most fog light bulbs are not super easy to change, it's not too hard to give up a max of 15 minutes to change one. Get over it.
                          These ARE easier than alot of cars I have seen in the past. I remember a Saturn I worked on a long time ago being a huge PITA to change bulbs in.
                          1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

then you must aim the headlight all over again, if you remove it.

Comment

Jesus, are you serious? Could you possibly whine anymore about regular maintenance? It's a ****ing light bulb, my 4 year old nephew could change it out. It's not an all day affair. I could pop both sides out, replace the bulbs, and reaim the headlights in a matter of 30 minutes. Any car you buy is going to have these issues, GM, Toyota, Kia, Ferrari, all of them. If changing a bulb is this serious of an undertaking, take it to a shop.

O
                              M
                              G
                              1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X