Security Light Issue w/ No Original Key on New (Used) Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Light Issue w/ No Original Key on New (Used) Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Light Issue w/ No Original Key on New (Used) Firebird

I have a Question on a 93 Firebird V6 3.4 5 Speed that I traded for a few days ago. I've read & read & read on the forum before deciding to ask for some help to see if I could get an idea on whats up.

Some history as I know of it, this car, was gotten from a junkyard. The previous owners had a bad addiction and had taken this car to the junkyard to scrap in order to have money to supply their addiction. Being that I knew the scrapyard owner I traded it out of him with a clear title lol.

I've spent a total of 15 solid hours on cleaning the car finding bad things in it and making sure there wasn't anything illegal in it that would get me into any trouble if I was ever pulled over.

The accessory wire to the stereo does not work for some reason and after checking all wires & fuses I never did understand why & never did find out what is wrong there. But I just ran a wire into the accessory port of the fuse box. Now it works good with the key off/on.

As far as running wise, all the car needed was some tlc, major cleaning, fuses replaced, a battery, 2 tires & a tranny mount.

But My Problem with this car is that it has the Security Light lit up on the dash that stays on all of the time when I start & drive the car. But it has not given any issues with not starting. It all appears to be 'ok'. The ignition key that came with it (I've attached the photo of it) does not have a resistor in it, just a slick but odd looking key.

Where the steering wheel tightens up it had one tap gone and the 2nd one loose. I'm not sure if they had been in there messing with the VATS or not but it doesn't have any resistors in the orange wire and that wire looks like it has never been tampered with before. I even unplugged the orange wire to see if the car still started & it did start.

I've searched all up in under the dash on both sides of the car and in the middle & did not locate a bypass module anywhere.

Is the TDM only for years 96 & 97 or do I have one too/ could it be it?

And what about the TDR? Do ya think it could be it? It's purple/yellow wires have not been wired together or appeared to have ever been messed with.

I read on here that it could be in whats called 'fault enable mode' & not to disconnect the battery, well, umm, it was dead a few times after first getting the car and I had to jump it and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Or is it that the key is not the regular key? But yet it still starts & runs.

What should I do? Spend the money and get a regular key that has the resistor in it & then bypass the vats with resistors in the orange wire? I would like to get rid of this light & know that my car will not fail somewhere later down the road because of the vats. I don't know what to do, I'm scared it will mess up on me later on with it being this way.

Any ideas anyone ?
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kellycarl; 06-09-2012, 12:54 PM.

Re: Security Light Issue w/ No Original Key on New (Used) Firebird

Before I revamped my Firebird, my security light had stayed on all the time also. What I found was that the harness had gotten piched between the column and the mounting bracket, causing a minor short that kept the light triggered. I replaced the harness and carefully re-routed it and no more light (or other "odd" occurrences). Hope this helps.

Comment

Not sure why it starts without the VATS key, and not having it bypassed already. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Yeah that's what I don't understand, unless I'm overlooking something or there's something else that I've not found/checked.

Comment

Wish I could help, nice looking bird though.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Imma trying to comb through this lil car and Im gonna clean it up some more change to some oem wheels soon as I can find some.

Comment

Sounds like they bypassed the VATS on it but didn't do it right might be the BCM also. On ebay I got a 02' steering column for mine with the BCM and keys for $85, well worth it if your keeping the car.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                Sounds like they bypassed the VATS on it but didn't do it right might be the BCM also. On ebay I got a 02' steering column for mine with the BCM and keys for $85, well worth it if your keeping the car.
                That sounds like something I might have to do, thats a good price.

Comment

Anyone got any ideas on/bout it ?

Comment

is it the stock lock cylinder? im guessing its not if youre using that key with the car. maybe it was replaced and someone bypassed the vats. hell i dont know lol, im just throwing **** out there. thats the only reason i could see for the light being on all the time

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                      is it the stock lock cylinder? im guessing its not if youre using that key with the car. maybe it was replaced and someone bypassed the vats. hell i dont know lol, im just throwing **** out there. thats the only reason i could see for the light being on all the time

Well, In a way it doesn't look like the original ignition switch but I can't really be certain. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. The wing thing or whatever that end piece is called is gone. I know that I can unplug the orange wire where you would place in the resistors and the car still starts lol.

Uhm, would there be anyway that someone could have bypassed it underneath the center console in between the two front seats? Reason for asking about that location is that the entire console is loose and I saw some wiring down in there from underneath the e-brake handle.
                      Attached Files

Comment

thats definately a different one.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                        Or this

Comment

I got something else that just might be something. After further digging & searching these threads, I have a 2nd dark blue wire behind my aftermarket stereo that's not hooked up to anything and no place to hook it to to on the factory plug. I am guessing that would go to some Steering Wheel Controls for the radio. Only prob is my steering wheel doesn't have the controls. Perhaps the steering wheel has been changed and that's why I have the extra dark blue wire, constant on security light & different ignition. I wonder if I could find a way to do something with that wire to make the light go away ...

Comment

Uhhh blue wire behind the stereo should be the remote wire. Not related to the security..

Comment

The remote wire ended up being the "pink" one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X