electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical question

I have a 2001 firebird and the instrument cluster back light wont work.... also the radio light, a/c light, and tail lights. (break lights do work) please help! because of the tail lights not working I cant drive at night. I could live with all the other lights not working for a little while but the tail lights not working is killing me. I had to find out they didn't work from a cop on my way to work the other morning.

Re: electrical question

on an unrelated topic, anyone know what is involved in adding a ram air hood and making it work? is it even worth doing or would a cold air intake have the same affect for less?

Comment

Have you checked your fuses for the lighting issues? Also the gauge cluster has several bulbs in it which could be burned out but the likelyhood of them all being burned out is low. Not the easiest thing to get to as I think you have to dismantle the dash a bit.

The ram air hood will get you the most air intake and performance. A cold air intake will have a slightly lesser effect for much less cost. You will need a new hood and the intake piping to go along with it to make it functional.
      96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Thank you MegaHertz, the hood sounds like the way to go.... and yes. all fuses and bulbs are good. i have taken the cluster out and switched all the bulbs around and cleaned connections but still the only lights that work in the cluster are the warning lights and odometer. and how the a/c lights, tail lights and radio light are involved i have no clue... I`m stumped. I`m thinking loose or broke wire but where to start? how can I get a wire diagram? hanes and chilton manuals for my year are a joke.

Comment

It sounds like a bad ground for the instrument lights or the headlight switch is bad, which is not allowing all of the nightime lights to come on. The Haynes manual does have a wiring diagram, you will have to interpret it and go from there.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

If you go to Autozone's website and make an account, you have access to a lot of good wiring diagrams. They've helped me out a few times.

Also, with the hood, to actually see the effects of the ram air, you'd have to be going 100+mph. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but just know that.

Comment

Ok, I took a second look at the fuses, and the tail light fuse was blown. one problem solved.... also, I took apart the dimmer switch and cleaned all the connections on it, and the lights on the a/c, and radio started working. Another problem solved.... but the back light on the cluster still wont work... the people who had it before me must have had neon lights all over the car cause i keep finding double sided tape and added wires that go nowhere. I hate the thought but i bet they messed up a wire somewhere when they was trying to get power to a light. thanks for all the help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X