Car not staying on, HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car not staying on, HELP!!!

My 96 3.8l Camaro is not staying on when I go to start it up. I have to press on the gas a little before starting it up to keep the motor running, after I take my foot off the gas the engine dies. I thought that it was something electrical since the volts go up when giving it gas and the gauge goes back down after I take my foot off the gas, but I replaced the battery and the alternator. I just don't know where to look next. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Re: Car not staying on, HELP!!!

alright lets fix this little ****.. back to the basics....
    any check engine lights? check those out first
    next have someone spray ether in the intake and see if it runs better.00 To much isn't good for it. but just enough to see if it is a fuel issue...
    if it doesn't run better, check for good spark u can pull the plug and wire and watch it ground out to the block and see how it looks. should be nice and bright white\ blue.. but with parts wearing it can be yellowish and still be running okay. also you can pull off each plug wire and see if it runs any better. for it to not stay running i bet its atleast 2 cylinders not firing. could be a coil pack or just plug wires.

Comment

I think this is more fuel related that electrical. If you do have a code I'm willing to bet that it's your TPS.

But if you don't have a code then it might be your Fuel Filter is filthy and or your FPR needs to be replaced.

OK, now, is it hard to start? If yes, then FPR.

Is it hard to start and when it does it doesn't build up power when on a FWY? Then it might be Fuel Filter.

Or, it could be both.

Also, how often do you clean your injectors?

Comment

How should you clean injectors?

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          How should you clean injectors?
          Unscrew em one at a time every day at 6 AM before you crank your car and drive a toothe brush and injector paste over them... Remember, brush daily and keep your injector's pumping away!

:)

j/k

I woulda thought seafoam in the gas tank or most "Fuel Injector" cleaner in the fuel tank would do the job.
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

don't forget to floss

Comment

Quick update. After changing the battery to a new one and the alternator to a remaned one, it was starting well for like a week then the start up problems happened again. So I opened the throttle a little bit by moving the screw on the throttle body. This helped but only for a couple of days. So today I decided to head to my parents home and change out the fuel pressure regulator. So now it is starting up really well. I will give it a couple days before I say that it is fixed, but here is hoping that everything is ok now. Thanks everyone for responding.

Comment

:tup: :tup:

That's good.

Comment

second update: The car is still having a hard time staying on when I go to start it up. Changing the fuel pressure regulator did not really help out at all and the voltage on the car keeps staying low and fluctuates up and down occasionally when at a stop light. So I decided to fill up the tank with gas and added seafoam to it. I am hopping that this will clean out the fuel injectors and fuel pump and get it starting a lot better. crossing my fingers that it starts better.

Comment

Take a look at the IAC (idle-air control valve). Typically when those get gummed up with carbon you need to give the car a little gas to keep it alive

Comment

Update: Well it seems that there was something wrong with the fuel system. The seafoam got the Camaro running a lot better. Its not perfect but now I only have to press down a little on the gas while turning the car on to get it to stay on. I just hope that this has fixed it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X