MSD Coils and Wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Coils and Wires.

Im looking to change the coil packs and wires on my DD car, Ive been reading up on them and what caught my attention was the 1mpg gain and mid rmp range power increase. I know 1mpg is not alot but I drive 120 miles a day to and from work and that 1mpg would add up. Anyway I was just wondering whos running them and what you think about them, thanks guys!
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Re: MSD Coils and Wires.

Don't Run MSD Coils, they aren't going to last long, but definitely get MSD Wires. only thing is with the boots they may melt apparently with aftermarket headers.
    I think i heard kristen got some sort of purple ones because of the msd boots.
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Oh really? Ill look into how long they last. Im not worried about them melting as I have the stock manis and Im not planning on headers right now, maybe further down the road.
      3M MAFIA
      ________
      sigpic

Comment

Just did a google search and read a few things on the MSD coil packs and everyone has bad stories about them, from causing power loss to pcm failure, I dont think Ill be buying them. Now what about LS coil packs? Will they work on a V6? LS1 guys are saying the LS2's and LS7's have better coils.
        3M MAFIA
        ________
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
          Just did a google search and read a few things on the MSD coil packs and everyone has bad stories about them, from causing power loss to pcm failure, I dont think Ill be buying them. Now what about LS coil packs? Will they work on a V6? LS1 guys are saying the LS2's and LS7's have better coils.
          Yup stay away from MSD coils,the LS crowd hates them,misfires, failures,expensive, ect.

The trucks have bigger stronger coils as well,I don't know how your going to convert to single coils though?

Don't the 3800's have an ignition control module thats part of the coil base?

Comment

Isnt the ls1 coil on plug?
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro
            L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by espey_16 View Post
              Isnt the ls1 coil on plug?
              for the most part, yes. they still have plug wires, but they are only inches long.

Comment

Get boot protectors, the wires will last for along time.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have boot protectors for mine with my longtube headers. Best $30 I ever spent.

Comment

Or just get some oem replacement coils and Taylor wires. 90* ends with thicker boots, so no need for protectors.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks for the inputs guys. What plugs do you guys suggest?
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      sigpic

Comment

You can get MSD with 90 deg boots.
                        -MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Ignition Wires #32799

The ones I have.

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                          Thanks for the inputs guys. What plugs do you guys suggest?
                          NGK plugs work well TR55's.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                            Or just get some oem replacement coils and Taylor wires. 90* ends with thicker boots, so no need for protectors.
                            The protectors ended up being a good idea on mine. I even had 90° boots on my wires. They eventually got roasted. I got some cut to length wires and got it all nice and tidy with the boots as well. Nothing like a little added security.

Comment

tr55's are the way to go
                              auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                              15.11@91.14
                              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X