Alternator issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator issue?

OK I have a new battery a couple months ago, old one definitely needed to be replaced. Advance Auto parts ran a diagnostic that said 12.96 volts @ 6.4 Amps with no load and 12.58 volts @ 22.94 Amps Loaded. They say I have a charging system problem and need a new alternator. I thought that alternators either worked or didn't work, So what do y'all think? Do I need a new alternator? The battery runs down after a full day or two of driving with headlights on.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Alternator issue?

alternators can definitely start working weakly, but they tend to die completely in a hurry.

Comment

Sounds like an alternator to me. Mine went at like 57k miles. Watch the voltage gauge as you're driving - it isn't the best, but can give you some hints. When my alternator went the gauge would drop down quickly and jump back up quickly.
      In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
      2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

I replaced mine last year. It will slowly drain your new battery.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll be swapping out the alternator. NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone...... that is the question..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X