Low volts after big 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low volts after big 3

Basically what it says.. I ran 4ga from alt to battery and battery to ground... nothing else. I'm confused.

Re: Low volts after big 3

UPDATE:
    It died on me driving 11 miles home from a friend's house. Consistently dropped volts, and died just as I pulled up to my house. On the way, obviously, lights dimmed, etc. I shut off the stereo, that didn't help. Lovely as it is, I got ABS INOP, Service Vehicle, Security, Check Gauges, Airbag, and Brake lights on the dash.

Am I correct to assume I have either a ****ed up wire, or my battery is shot? The Battery is being tested tomorrow morning IF I CAN. And I'm going to check the wires when it's light out. It acted like it wasn't getting a charge from the alt, which is less than 10k miles old.

I should also note that it chugged pretty damn hard for the last miles or so getting there. All gauges went dark, headlights were nearly off, and I was floored in 1st gear going maybe 10. I am REALLY hoping for an easy cable or battery fix... but just to mock me it has enough power to flash the security light on the dash.
    Last edited by Docta; 08-08-2011, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Check your wiring. Undo your stereo hookup and see if its ok then.

Comment

If you'e confident in the wiring, it's either the battery or the alternator. It's a running joke around my place that I get horrible luck with alternators, three in a month once.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          Basically what it says.. I ran 4ga from alt to battery and battery to ground... nothing else. I'm confused.
          Let's start with that running a 4GA to the battery does ****. It needs to be to the Positive power terminal.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Well the battery was shot. Got a red top now, and its still not charging right. But what do you mean the positive terminal? I thought that was the red one on the battery..

Comment

Okay. Well now that my dumb moment is gone, I'm getting nearly 18v. I didn't tighten down the connector from the alt to battery.:slap:

Comment

Okay. Well now that my dumb moment is gone, I'm getting nearly 18v. I didn't tighten down the connector from the alt to battery.:slap:
                At least you figured it out.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well the battery was shot. Got a red top now, and its still not charging right. But what do you mean the positive terminal? I thought that was the red one on the battery..
                  Look at the "underhood" photos on my website.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                    Look at the "underhood" photos on my website.
                    The alternator picture and two engine pictures above it aren't showing up, fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
                      The alternator picture and two engine pictures above it aren't showing up, fyi.
                      Works fine for me - and I'm accessing from my work PC - not my personal/home laptop. Need to give it a minute for the pictures to come up.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X