Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rpm dips and voltage drops

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
    Not sure also whether it is the alternator as well. I added a voltage booster and then the alternator rewire just to try and get around some of that issue along with the pulsing lights I'd get sometimes. Things seem a bit better.

A vac canister is a great Idea with a larger cam.
    The reason for this is that below a certain RPM your pcm removes the 5 volt's that excites the alternator field, effectivly shutting off your alternator. Hence the low voltage and fluctuation.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Yup, really pisses off the rest of the setup. I figured it was a switch in alternator harvesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
        At idle my car pulls 14-16 in/hg. Where does that put me in comparison to stock?
        I think they pull 21-22 inches stock.

Comment

I'm gonna bet that the problem with low charge voltage at 600-700 rpm, is either a weak alternator or too much load on the charging system at those rpms. Considering youv'e got an electric water pump, I'm going to guess the latter.

Fix the idle stability problem and you'll solve the charging issue.

Interestingly, your idle stability problem sounds much like the the idle problem I had with my mod'ed 01. It's discussed in a thread to which we both posted at: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...49#post1011749

Since the tables one needs to access to tune idle spark are not accessible with the HPT 2.22 or 2.23, I simply added 6-8° to the base spark tables in the cells at which the engine idles. My idle stability was much improved and throttle response improved a ton.

Comment

How can I measure vacuum? Is anyone familiar with the Aeroforce scan gauge? is the HG/psi my vacuum? If so it says I'm pulling roughly -6- (-8) at idle? is this really bad?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I have 2 Aeroforce gauges, they don't read vac. though, you need a Vac./boost gauge.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have this issue with my car as well... I've noticed it's only when I'm coasting down without the clutch in and AC off... But I sit at 18v regularly, and drop to under 13, and idle goes to about 400, from 750.

Comment

Your MAP reads vacuum.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    Your MAP reads vacuum.
                    thats what I thought...I just don't know what these numbers mean because I thought psi/hg were different?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I do not think this voltage-drop issue has anything to do with vacuum, high octane fuel or any of that. My car has always done this also, and I bought the car new. If you look in the Haynes manual, on p. 12-30, on the PCM section there is a brown wire labeled Generator Control. It appears to me that the PCM is controlling whether the alternator is putting out power. For some reason, I think the PCM is cutting off the signal, causing the alternator to stop putting out power. A moment later, the PCM turns it back on again. Also, watch the voltage gauge when you first start the car. On mine, the voltage always comes up a couple of seconds after startup. It's as if the PCM is programmed to only let the alternator kick on after the engine has reached idle speed. None of my other cars have done this. On these other cars the alternator has always run as long as the engine is running. However, the stupid Haynes manual does not show where this brown wire goes to. It just shows "Starting/Charging System". Well, the only wire I see to the alternator is a tiny red wire. Who knows where this brown wires goes. I'm thinking that if the PCM is bypassed, and the alternator receives the 12V signal from a key-on source, that the voltage-drop issue will go away.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I had a chipmunk munching on wires in my car, one was the smaller wire on the alternator. He chewed right through it. I started my car and my volts were down and stayed down no matter what RPM my engine was in. I knew exactly what it was because I forgot to plug that wire in when I changed my alternator before.

Interesting idea though. We should get someone with a multimeter to test that wire. Couldn't a constant charging alternator over charge the battery though?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          I had a chipmunk munching on wires in my car, one was the smaller wire on the alternator. He chewed right through it. I started my car and my volts were down and stayed down no matter what RPM my engine was in. I knew exactly what it was because I forgot to plug that wire in when I changed my alternator before.

Interesting idea though. We should get someone with a multimeter to test that wire. Couldn't a constant charging alternator over charge the battery though?
                          Yes, it can damage the battery, and the coils in the alternator.

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                          I do not think this voltage-drop issue has anything to do with vacuum, high octane fuel or any of that. My car has always done this also, and I bought the car new. If you look in the Haynes manual, on p. 12-30, on the PCM section there is a brown wire labeled Generator Control. It appears to me that the PCM is controlling whether the alternator is putting out power. For some reason, I think the PCM is cutting off the signal, causing the alternator to stop putting out power. A moment later, the PCM turns it back on again. Also, watch the voltage gauge when you first start the car. On mine, the voltage always comes up a couple of seconds after startup. It's as if the PCM is programmed to only let the alternator kick on after the engine has reached idle speed. None of my other cars have done this. On these other cars the alternator has always run as long as the engine is running. However, the stupid Haynes manual does not show where this brown wire goes to. It just shows "Starting/Charging System". Well, the only wire I see to the alternator is a tiny red wire. Who knows where this brown wires goes. I'm thinking that if the PCM is bypassed, and the alternator receives the 12V signal from a key-on source, that the voltage-drop issue will go away.
                          There is as set rpm range that the alternator operates whitin, to low and it is shut off by the PCM. And if I remember correctly the alternator receives a 5 volt to energize the coils, not 12. The PCM doesnt just decide to "cut power", some outside variable that is causing this to happen, as it is all based on tables and values. No need for a bandaid if you fix the cause.
                          I have had plenty of hands on experience with this problem and I have found it to have a direct coralation with idle and vacum. As I progressed to bigger cams with more overlap the problem has become much more pronounced.
                          I will add to this later when i have more time.
                          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I was reading more about alternators last night, and it seems that most later model cars now have PCM-controlled alternators, whereas older cars had internal voltage regulators. So, if our alternators do not have internal regulators, we cannot just hook it up to 5V or 12V because it probably would overcharge. It may even have uncontrolled voltage. The solution would probably be to switch the alternator for one that is internally regulated. But then, would that mess with the PCM if it is no longer allowed to control the voltage? Who knows.
                            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

lol, you guys were writing that at the same time huh?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have a stock cam and my car does something similar randomly. The voltage and RPM will drop and then it'll "catch itself" and the volts/RPM will surge up past idle. It'll keep yo-yoing like this until I give it a bit of gas, then it settles down to a proper idle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X