replace coil packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace coil packs

hey ya'll, have a problem with my 1998 (3.8l/4l60e) camaro, over the last few weeks she briefly shuttered couple of times then finally this morning while pulling out of my driveway she started missing bad, way low on power, sounded like all 6 plugs fouled all at once, & she threw up a ses light, i pulled the code tonight, it showed 2 codes, both said "missfire cylinder 3" ...i hear that these things go thru ignition coils with alarming regularity, so if that turns out to be the problem does anyone know any tricks to dealing with/replacing these things before i break out the tool box? ...hi-temp/heat-sink grease? ...coil brand name? that sort of thing, thanks ya'll
    Last edited by heavychevy383; 08-26-2010, 11:19 PM.

Re: replace coil packs

Take the 1/3 coil pack to Autozone to be tested for resistance. They'll tell you whether it's bad or not. I've had a Duralast coil packs are fine. I've had one in my car for a year without a hiccup so far. I've got a 5.5mm deep socket sitting on my desk that I'm pretty sure I used to remove the coilpacks, IIRC.

Since you'll be pulling the 1/3 coil pack, go ahead and pull the others to check for corrosion. If you see any, clean it out with some foaming dissolve. Might want to get those tested for resistance and see how they look too. And be sure to use liberal amounts of dielectric grease.
    Last edited by pace2006; 08-27-2010, 12:04 AM.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

its an easy fix, u can def do it urself...save urself the headache and do em all at once

Comment

'priciate the advice ya'll, one more question, after unplugging the accutron obd2 reader from the port...my alarm would not arm itself (via the key fob) like the battery in the key fob is dead, but i just put a fresh battery in it 2 months ago?!? could the code reader have screwed anything up on the car alarm? (pardon if that sounds like a dumb question but that was the first time i ever had to use one of those things)

Comment

Nah, a code reader isn't going to do that.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Stock coils def. are the best, I have 6 back up coils and 2 ICMS just in case I get problems, but running better wires like 8.5mm and above with good spark plugs will make them last alot longer, I haven't had any problems with my coils or ICM in 10 years, thats when I switched to MSD 8.5 mm wires and now run ZZP 10.3 mm wires and also NGK spark plugs. This is also in the AZ heat where it will kill batt., Alt, coils and most electrical componets from extreme heat. So def. stay will stock brand coils.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X