3.08 to 3.42 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.08 to 3.42 questions

My 98 Firebird has an automatic trans, 3.08 and an open rear. Would like to go to 3.42 and a Torsen LSD.

What performance increase can I expect in 0-60 and highway passing?

Most of my driving is highway. How much can I expect to lose in MPG?

If I have a GM dealer do the work, can they adjust the PCM to reflect the correct mph or do I need to buy a new chip?

Thanks!

Re: 3.08 to 3.42 questions

im pretty sure there is no such thing as buying a new "chip" to fix that, the gm dealer should be able to do it, but very pricey, where are you from? i have a manual but when i did my swap i noticed better take off, and alot harder pull in 2nd gear

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
      im pretty sure there is no such thing as buying a new "chip" to fix that, the gm dealer should be able to do it, but very pricey, where are you from? i have a manual but when i did my swap i noticed better take off, and alot harder pull in 2nd gear
      I'm still new to these f-body computers. Reading all I can on these forums, and it has me a bit confused. Seems that the only way to modify the settings is to buy a package like HPTuners VCM Suite for about $500. Thats a lot of cash to adjust my speedo.

I guess some sort of adjustment will be needed if I go to 17" rims too.

Nothing is simple anymore!!!

Comment

where do you live? maybe there is someone on the board who is close and can tune it for you, pretty much the only thing that can fix your issue is to have it tuned with hptuners

Comment

HP tuners is amazing. I'm sure you know that it does more than just calibrate your gears. It's a really really good idea to get if you plan on modifying anything else. Also, having an automatic transmission you can set shift points, firmness, etc.. Basically anything that is controlled by the PCM you can monitor/scan and adjust.

BTW, if you go to 17" wheels www.oewheelsllc.com has great prices on some really nice wheels. That's where I bought mine and I love em.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Your going to need a 3 series carrier lsd along with the 3.42's and might as well get a new reluctor ring also. Hptuners is worth the money if your keeping your car awhile, if not I wouldn't even modify it.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i did the same thing to mine, it had a lot better pull and it smokes the tires a whole lot faster lol, but gas mileage really didnt change all tht much. and i was only off by 5 at 40mph and 10 at 80mph, so its rele not hard to figure out how fast you are going.

Comment

I had a '96 Camaro with a posi and it went through the NJ snow very well, although I did have to add some weight to the trunk some times.

I noticed today that there is a flat spot in highway acceleration with the automatic I don't remember with the stick in the Camaro. Maybe a rear gear change will help that.

Has anyone done 0-60 comparison after changing gears?

Anyone in the North NJ area with a hptuner that might want to rent out some time?

I tend to keep my cars a while, so any mods to the Firebird will have to be sound, long lived, and worth the effort.

For the next few weeks I'm going to keep mpg numbers to get a good baseline for the commuting expense and decide what gears to go with.
                Last edited by Mark42; 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

My 2002 with 3.42's gets about 23 city and 27 highway. I usually go about 80 on the highway. If I go slower I can get up to 29 mpg. I would like to put 4.10's in it one of these days though.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

4.10s are good for doing burnouts and drifting corners in 2nd gear. I have them and love them, also running the M5. Def sucks when your crusing at 70 though, rpms are a little bit about 3k in 5th gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                      Seems that the only way to modify the settings is to buy a package like HPTuners VCM Suite for about $500. Thats a lot of cash to adjust my speedo.

I guess some sort of adjustment will be needed if I go to 17" rims too.
                      Easiest way to get around this would be with a mail order tune. Just give them your tire diameter, gear ratio, have them lower the fan settings and remove speed and rev limiters. PCM for less does this for $150 - Texas speed for $225

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                        My 2002 with 3.42's gets about 23 city and 27 highway. I usually go about 80 on the highway. If I go slower I can get up to 29 mpg. I would like to put 4.10's in it one of these days though.
                        Wow! You can get 29 mpg? Is that with a stick or auto? Knowing the MPG does not drop to 22 or so is great. I feel better about getting better performance and not killing the mpg.

If this was not my primary commute vehicle, 4.10's would be my choice, but with a 80 mile round trip to the office, 4.10's are out of the question.

BTW, my '98 Lincoln Town Car has a high stall converter, 3.55 gears with a trac-lock rear, and 255 50 17's. With a little power brake, that car will smoke the heck out of the tires. LOL! That tank only gets about 22 mpg highway at 65 mph, and does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. I hope the Firebird will do better with the 3.42's

Comment

why not shoot down the middle between 3.42's and 4.10's and get 3.73's then?

3.42's are a great all around gear though, so either way you'll see some extra jump and still have decent milage.

right now i get 30mpg highway @70-75mph with headers, full exhaust, bolt-ons, and a closed cutout on 3.23 gears T5, so when i upgrade to lsd i'm going 3.73's.
                          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

i have the 3.42/lsd from the factory, auto, and 17 inch wheels, and i get around 21 mpg. i only get that bad of milage cause im 20 years old, and i have a lead foot. I buy new back tires about every year...lol.

i would also say since its gonna be your dd and you dont seem to enthralled on modding it past the basics, mail order tune would be the way to go.
                            Last edited by flamingchicken; 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM.
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

^agreed.

my mpg is rarely up to 30 anymore bc now that i don't DD the maro still, she's purely to get in and take twisties like a maniac and have fun drifting. i took a lady-friend out through the mountains yesterday with cutout wide open the whole time and maaaaybe got 14 mpg if i'm lucky haha.

scared the piss outta her (but she loved it) going up a 15mph limit single lane windy mountain road doing 50 around turns tho lol. totally worth it.
                              Last edited by BallerMaro13; 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM.
                              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                              gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X