Transmission rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission rattle?

I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird V6 with automatic transmission (124,000 plus miles). The noise started about a week ago. When the engine has cooled off and I first crank the car, it sounds like an exhaust rattle. After about a minute it clears up. It only does it when the car has set without running for several hours. I have inspected the exhaust system including the heat shield around the catalyic converter and the converter itself. This noise is coming from around the rear of the transmission. It is fairly loud. Anybody have an idea? Is there a pump at the rear of transmission? Other than that, the transmission is pulling great. Thanks in advance!

Re: Transmission rattle?

maybe it has something to do with the mount, i know my friends transmission does this and thats because the center bolt in the mount that holds the bushing is stripped

Comment

I would check out the mount first. There's no pump in the rear of the transmission, only bushings and the output shaft. If the output shaft was moving around and making noise, you would most likely have an erratic speedometer. Also take a look at the universal joints on the driveshaft.
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Update: it was the cat. converter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X