8.8 rearend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 rearend

I read some posts about S10 guys using Ford 8.8 rear ends in their trucks was just as wide and mounted in with minor problems. Since we can use S10 rears I thought about what if a 8.8 woul fit since thy are almost tough as a 12 bolt rear. The rear ends that come from 97+ 4X4 Ford explorers have the disc brakes and have 3 different rear 3.55, 3.73. 4.11 gears and if the code has a L I think between the #'s it means Locker Posi, something like that. I thought it was pretty interesting since I searched an could get a Posi 3.55 for $300 from the scrap yard hear, and they say mustang guys have gotten the 8.8's into the 12's.11's and even 10's without blowing them up. I will post the S10 writeup when I get a chance, anyone heard of this?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: 8.8 rearend

There's some info on ls1tech.
    The big thing is you either have to run a four link, or fab a torque arm bracket since the
    8.8 doesn't have one. Welding a bracket to the housing seems to be hit or miss because
    it is a cast material.

Comment

I run a UMI Tunnel mount TQ arm and there a CO. that makes a adapter that mounts to the 8.8 rear so I could use my TQ arm. I thought it was pretty cool reading about it. My wifes dad and brothers are all into Fords and have a couple of 8.8 rear ends lying around but they are old ones , I think the 00+ Crown Vics have the same options with the discs brakes too. I still can't believe they compare them to 12 bolts, thats crazy.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The 8.8 ford rear is a copy of the 12 bolt Chevy. Some of the bearings are even the same Timken part numbers. I've seen Quite a few Mustangs run in the 9's with just a spool and axles in one. If they make a torque arm bracket for them and lower perches, the only thing you will lose is your ABS. I know 4 channel ABS cars can keep it with a 12 bolt. No hope for 3 channel cars.
        sigpic

Comment

Mines a 96' so 3 channel, 9's that is crazy for $350 for the posi rear with 3.55 gears I think it would be worth it plus the cost of the bracket. Wouldn't have to worry about the rear end taking a dump on you at the track, thats for sure. This will be my project if my 10 bolt goes out, I have the T/A gridle and stud kit installed. Thanks for th replies didn't know if anyone knew about this or tried it on a F-Body, just see that the S-10's and jeeps do it alot.

Comment

I'm using one in my 71 Nova because parts for them are cheaper than 12 bolt parts.
            sigpic

Comment

this post doesnt have any useful info, but i would like to clarify something:

the ford 9" rear end is considered to be the strongest rear end, and a lot of drag racers use them, BUT there is a huge misconception

stock for stock, the ford rear ends are indeed stronger than the GM ones, but built vs built, the 12 bolt can be made the strongest of all (out of gm and ford, i dont know chrysler rear ends other than their names)

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                this post doesnt have any useful info, but i would like to clarify something:

the ford 9" rear end is considered to be the strongest rear end, and a lot of drag racers use them, BUT there is a huge misconception

stock for stock, the ford rear ends are indeed stronger than the GM ones, but built vs built, the 12 bolt can be made the strongest of all (out of gm and ford, i dont know chrysler rear ends other than their names)

You are totality backwards here.

The stock Ford 9 inch is not as strong as a stock 12 bolt, But with aftermarket parts the 9 inch can be made just about indestructible. All drag cars from Pro Stock on up to Top Fuel use aftermarket versions of the 9 inch because of this. The 12 bolt can not be made anywhere close to this. It has to do with the off set of the pinion. The 9 inch has more off set giving it more tooth contact, but at the same time making it use more power to turn.

The availability of a torque arm bracket to use a 8.8 ford rear in a F body is useful information.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  You are totality backwards here.

The stock Ford 9 inch is not as strong as a stock 12 bolt, But with aftermarket parts the 9 inch can be made just about indestructible. All drag cars from Pro Stock on up to Top Fuel use aftermarket versions of the 9 inch because of this. The 12 bolt can not be made anywhere close to this. It has to do with the off set of the pinion. The 9 inch has more off set giving it more tooth contact, but at the same time making it use more power to turn.

The availability of a torque arm bracket to use a 8.8 ford rear in a F body is useful information.
                  im not talking about aftermarket versions of the 12 bolt or the 9 inch

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    im not talking about aftermarket versions of the 12 bolt or the 9 inch

I'm sorry, what does Built for built refer to then? And your still wrong about the stock ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm going to post some links up on it:

http://www.h-body.org/dave/Build%20a...Rear%20End.htm

http://dezertdimes.com/2008/12/ford-...-88-install-2/

http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5279

Heres the one from LS1tech:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-...ord-8-8-a.html

Heres where they talk about it on 3rd gen.org and a guy has his own shop shows a bracket:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...ord-8-8-a.html

Heres the CO.:

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/GSSshopmule.html

Heres a article from Car Craft comparing the 8.8 to a 12 bolt:
                      http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...end/index.html
                      Last edited by ssms5411; 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Reason why I'm posting this is the 95+ 8.8 rear ends with discs are cheap here , I can get one with 1100 miles on it for $300+ tax. And they have the 3.55's, 3.73's and 4.10's which is cool because i could get the 3.55's for my turbo instead of my 3.73's I have now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X