Noises from transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noises from transmission

I just did the A4 to M5 swap. When the car is sitting still in netrual it makes a grinding type noise, it reminds me of a bad supercharger cupler but quite a bit louder. The second i put the clutch petal down the noise stops. Also when I put the car in gear and go to move, just before the clutch is fully released it sounds like the clutch is rubbing? I have driven quite a few stick shift cars and have never heard that before. Any insight?

Re: Noises from transmission

ok, after doing some research I think the grinding noise when my car in neutral is a bad throw out bearing. as for the rubbing sound when i am shifting into gear and letting the clutch out, i dont know.

Comment

Did you put grease on the input shaft/pilot bushing?......I'm told these should be assembled dry or just a few drops of oil, but no grease, as it plugs up the self oiling feature of the sintered bronze "oilite" bushing.

Comment

That is a yes to grease on the pilot bearing. My friends dad who has been working for GM over 20 years told us to.

That is the only place i put grease.
        Last edited by Rangersltw; 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

Originally posted by Rangersltw View Post
          That is a yes to grease on the pilot bearing. My friends dad who has been working for GM over 20 years told us to.

That is the only place i put grease.
          you should not grease the pilot bearing, it should only be dipped in some oil

it does sound like a messed up TO bearing though, i would suggest when you replace it, to replace the pilot bearing also

from what i know, our pilot bearings (or bushings, whatever you call it) are self oiled and grease will mess it up

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X