outer pinion bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outer pinion bearing

I am trying to get the outer bearing out to replace my crush sleeve with a solid spacer. From everything I read, it should just slide out. I have tapped the pinion with a hammer, tried to pry it out, nothing. Any thoughts on getting this SOB out?

Another, probably stupid question. When I look for pinion seals for a GM 8.5 rear, I see large diameter seals. The seal I took off is mostly metal (looks more like a cap) with a small diameter seal in the middle. This one (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAT-6140/ has no picture so I have no idea if it's the right one.

Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Re: outer pinion bearing

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird View Post
    I am trying to get the outer bearing out to replace my crush sleeve with a solid spacer. From everything I read, it should just slide out. I have tapped the pinion with a hammer, tried to pry it out, nothing. Any thoughts on getting this SOB out?

Another, probably stupid question. When I look for pinion seals for a GM 8.5 rear, I see large diameter seals. The seal I took off is mostly metal (looks more like a cap) with a small diameter seal in the middle. This one (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAT-6140/ has no picture so I have no idea if it's the right one.

Thanks

For starters our cars have 7.5/7.625 10 bolts.

To pull the pinion out you need to first remove the carrier. Sometimes after removing the pinion nut, it takes quite a bit of beating to get the pinion out of the forward pinion bearing. Be sure to protect the threads of the pinion. I find that sometimes a pneumatic air hammer with a pointed blade in it works well, but some are so stubborn that you need a BFH (BIG ****ING HAMMER).
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
      For starters our cars have 7.5/7.625 10 bolts.

To pull the pinion out you need to first remove the carrier. Sometimes after removing the pinion nut, it takes quite a bit of beating to get the pinion out of the forward pinion bearing. Be sure to protect the threads of the pinion. I find that sometimes a pneumatic air hammer with a pointed blade in it works well, but some are so stubborn that you need a BFH (BIG ****ING HAMMER).
      I was whacking it pretty hard with a plastic hammer (as to not kill the threads). an air hammer is a good idea - might cause enough vibration to work it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dude at the auto parts store told me Castrol for limited slip had the GM additive. Can anyone confirm? I picked up a bottle of tran-x (hahaha, jokes aside), is that a reasonable substitute?
      Last edited by SpeedingFirebird; 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Be careful hitting it with a hammer. A hard hit with a hammer can actually compress the whole end of the pinion gear and push the threads closer together, making it impossible to thread a nut on it (embarrassingly, I speak from experience here!). The best way is to use an air hammer with a tapered bit on it that you can place in the center of the pinion (there is an indentation on the pinion gear that a tapered bit will fit into). If you don't have an air hammer and must use a regular hammer, don't hit it directly with the hammer. Use a punch or something with a tapered end on it so you're only applying the force to the center of the pinion gear.

As for oil, use any 75W-90 oil. You can use synthetic if you want, but it is not required. If you have a torsen carrier, then you do not need the additive. If you have a eaton style (clutch type) carrier, then you'll need the additive, which you should find next to the gear oil in any parts store.
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          Be careful hitting it with a hammer. A hard hit with a hammer can actually compress the whole end of the pinion gear and push the threads closer together, making it impossible to thread a nut on it (embarrassingly, I speak from experience here!). The best way is to use an air hammer with a tapered bit on it that you can place in the center of the pinion (there is an indentation on the pinion gear that a tapered bit will fit into). If you don't have an air hammer and must use a regular hammer, don't hit it directly with the hammer. Use a punch or something with a tapered end on it so you're only applying the force to the center of the pinion gear.

As for oil, use any 75W-90 oil. You can use synthetic if you want, but it is not required. If you have a torsen carrier, then you do not need the additive. If you have a eaton style (clutch type) carrier, then you'll need the additive, which you should find next to the gear oil in any parts store.
          I picked up Castrol (dino) for limited slip. Do I still need the additive?

Comment

If it says it is "for limited slip" then I would assume that it already has the additive. Again, if you have the zexel torsen carrier, you do not need the additive (although it doesn't hurt).
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              If it says it is "for limited slip" then I would assume that it already has the additive. Again, if you have the zexel torsen carrier, you do not need the additive (although it doesn't hurt).
              auburn

Comment

Auburn recommends non-synthetic 80W90 (75W90 will work) with friction additive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X