pilot berring removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot berring removal

How's it goin everyone??? Im having trouble pulling my pilot berring out. I tried filling the hole with grease and using an extension to drive it out and that didnt work, and I tried the wet toilet paper trick, but with both methods, the grease and the toilet paper kept squeezing between the pilot and the extension. I am doing this right, right?? I tried renting a pilot berring removal tool from autozone today, but its too big to fit in the berring. Could someone please tell me what Im doing wrong?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: pilot berring removal

you need to get something bigger then

or buy a cheap puller for them at harbor freight or something

it took me like 15 minutes to find something that would actually work instead of push the grease between the pilot and the tool

but yes, you're doing it right

Comment

I know some mechanics used a bolt on mine, before I swapped trannies.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The grease trick worked pretty well for me
        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

If this is just a replacement clutch the GM bearings are better than the aftermarket ones, so is the GM TOB's. I had a Spec 3+w/ceramic discs and used the stock bearing and TOB after comparing them to Specs, they looked alot more soilid and held up fine with mininal chatter the GM mechanic pointed it out to me, since we had them side by side. I remember now they screwed the bolt in the bushing and then backed it out , the bearing would come out with it I would put some grease in there too for the lube, I don't remember what size bolt though.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've got a centerforce to put in there, but I ordered a timken pilot bushing for it. The spec one is cracked in a couple spots on the front. I remember when I put the spec clutch in in december the stock pilot bushing came right out. I'm gonna go to the hardware store later with the bushing and buy a wood dowel that's a direct match and I'm gonna try it again.
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro
            L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Ok, I still had no luck getting that bearing out, I bought a 5/8" dowel and had to sand it down a little, but it still wouldnt work. So I looked around on the internet for a puller, and finally found one at a decent price that will fit in the bearing, hopefully it works.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X