Hard for car to go in gear......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard for car to go in gear......

I have a 1999 v6 5spd camaro that is very hard to put in gear. I have to push the clutch all the way in and almost force the car into first gear. It doesn't grind or anything when going into first it is just hard to get it in there. I also have to have the clutch pushed to the floor when changing gears. I was told by the previous owner that it is a brand new clutch. So what could be wrong ?

The clutch engages like an inch or two from the floor. Is there anyway I could adjust it out, so it catches more towards the top ?

Re: Hard for car to go in gear......

sounds like it needs to be bleed more

get a mityvac , its the only good way to do it and ensure all the air is out

Comment

EDIT****

NVM search is my friend.
      Last edited by 1998camaro; 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Can't find a loaner mightyvac anywhere around and dont want to pay $60 for one. How does one do this manually without the mightyvac?

Comment

UPDATE: The car kept getting harder and harder to go in gear. Finally it got so bad that I had to shut off the engine to get the car into first gear or reverse. I took it to a shop and they said it is the pilot bearing. They said when the other shop replaced the clutch they didn't replace the pilot bearing. They are charging me $225 to change it. He said the transmission has to be taken all the way out to change it.

Can the pilot bearing be what causes this problem ?

Comment

It is possible for the pilot bearing to cause an issue like this. A damaged pilot bearing can cause the input shaft to spin even while the clutch is disengaged. Also $225 is a pretty good price for the job.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Ok, thanks. I trust the shop that I go to, I guess for some reason I just want to make sure that i'm not getting the shaft.

He said he would hopefully have it done by this evening so I will let everyone know how it goes incase someone else has this same problem.

Comment

Ok, got car back and the clutch was under warranty so I also got a brand new clutch installed along with the pilot bearing. The clutch engages and disengages at the very top of the peddle. There isn't over 1 inch of play in the peddle at all. I have been reading posts on here and they say that is where the clutch disengages when it is about to go out. Should a brand new clutch be catching this far up ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1998camaro View Post
                  Ok, got car back and the clutch was under warranty so I also got a brand new clutch installed along with the pilot bearing. The clutch engages and disengages at the very top of the peddle. There isn't over 1 inch of play in the peddle at all. I have been reading posts on here and they say that is where the clutch disengages when it is about to go out. Should a brand new clutch be catching this far up ?
                  no, it shouldnt

a brand new clutch should start to engage at the very bottom of the pedal, then after i breaks in it will move up slightly to maybe 1/4-1/2 of the way up

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X