Delayed shifting out of first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed shifting out of first

I just bought a 1993 Trans Am. The woman that I bought it from had it parked for about 8 months because it died on her going home (come to find out it was the alternator which I replaced.) She said that she never had any problems with it shifting. What it is doing is: When going from a stop the rpms go to between 3500-4000 before shifting out of first gear. If I take my foot off the gas when it should shift and then hit the gas again I can force it to shift. I checked the transmission fluid and it is fine. What could it be? Could it be having issues becuase it sat without running for 8 months?
    Thank you all for your help. I just spent $2000 on the car and repairs and if the tranny is bad I am going to have to sell it :cry:
    Robin

Re: Delayed shifting out of first

your transmission is most likely on its way out... but it could still be drivable for quite a while
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Crap I didn't want to hear that. I can't afford a new tranny

Comment

93 has a throttle valve cable. Try adjusting that first. Hit the adjustment release with the car off and the throttle blade at idle. The cable should be spring loaded and pop up. Then still with the car off slowly put the gas to the floor. You should hear a few clicks where the cable is adjusting itself. Then give it a try.
        sigpic

Comment

Where is the throttle valve cable located?
          It is just odd that it was shifting fine before the car died and then it sat for 9 months...I just bought it monday and put the last of my money in to it to get it running - alternator, battery, hoses, ignition module, tires, etc. I don't want to get rid of it - I have always wanted a trans am - but if the tranny is bad I am screwed!
          Last edited by robinpugs06; 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

On the throttle body near where the throttle cable connects. As the throttle cable gets shorter the throttle valve cable gets longer. It would be best if you looked in a book for pictures.
            sigpic

Comment

probably the shift bands are worn. mine are damn near shot and do the same thing. oh well, ill have my performabuilt tranny so i could care less. mine has been like this for about 5 or 6 months, its my own fault though, when you take a car to the track twice a week from spring to fall for 3 years its bound to happen lol.

edit: let me tell you now, LT1s are money pits. ive got about 4500 in my car in repairs over the last 4 years. im just now starting to modify it thanks to all the **** ive broke.
              Last edited by vanbibber; 07-09-2009, 11:18 PM.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

Thanks for the info...I do have a book so I will take a look plus my friend knows a pretty good deal of things so I will ask for his help!
                Ya I know about money pits - I have been rebuilding a 1985 Jeep CJ7 and every time I think it is good to go for awhile something else breaks...
                I appreciate all the suggestions!

Comment

Can;t find the adjustment release and it isn't shown in the book.

Comment

LMGTFY

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wVs_j1Lugnl1fw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...jFutUPSEibz9KA

post # 5 in this thread
                    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...WqTMgP1fe9F3Sw
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for those links I really appreciate it. I didn't see the "D" button release today but I will look again tomorrow and try and figure this out! Thanks again!!!

Comment

Ok there is nothing on the cables up near the throttle body that looks like a "D"...are you sure this is on the 1993 trans am?
                        Last edited by robinpugs06; 07-11-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Post a picture of the throttle body and the cables attached to it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Here are the pics...I am not finding anything that looks like a "D" or any button...

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X