should i go from 3.23 to 3.42's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i go from 3.23 to 3.42's?

i have a lsd 3.23 and i can get a lsd 3.42 for $200 i dont want to go to 4:10 and idk about 3.73 but would this be worth the swap how much would i gain?

Re: should i go from 3.23 to 3.42's?

you'll see a much better acceleration jump with the 3.73's and still get good gas mileage.

i had the same dilemma and decided when i do my gears it's 3.73's or nothing...3.42's are a great gearing but are very average and not worth the small step up from 3.23's IMO.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

i believe ssms has a 3.73 rear setup and says it's golden, btw.
      Last edited by BallerMaro13; 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM.
      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I've had 3.23's, 3.42's and then went to 3.73's last year, I def. like the 3.73's overall for gearing with a auto. I don't know about a M5 with them though.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by tomham View Post
          i but would this be worth the swap
          no it won't

Comment

You running any mods or is the car still stock? If you are running turbo run lower ratio but if you are still N/A run 3.73's better acceleration.

Comment

im prolly gunna be a cam and possibly n20 car by the end of summer this rear is just cheap

Comment

I suggest go with 3.73's but if you decide not to just go with 3.42's

Comment

i want 3.73 but idk $200 for 3.42 with 12k on thme supposidly
                  it does not have the brakes or anything but i could just swap them

Comment

Originally posted by tomham View Post
                    i want 3.73 but idk $200 for 3.42 with 12k on thme supposidly
                    it does not have the brakes or anything but i could just swap them
                    To your original question. There's no gain in HP, but a better take off of the line. But you do get a slightly better gas mileage with 3.42 than with 3.73. Also, slightly better top end.

James and Keith experimented with these gears and 3.73 wasn't always the best. James got a low 12 sec. run with 3.23 and Keith with 3.42 both of them had 3.73 before and then 4.10.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

are you an auto or 5-speed? I am assuming 5-speed since you said you have 3.23s

I had a set of 3.42s in at one time on my 3.8 5-speed. One issue about them... when I was running mid 14s, I was having to shift into 4th in the 1/4 which was slowing me down. I overall had better acceleration, thought worthwhile but at the same time I got them for more then just the gears, I wanted to try a non-zexel diff out. I eventually then bumped the rev limiter up, so I could stay in 4th. I was hoping for a 14.2-14.3, my mph was definitely higher then my best run of a 14.4, but I was having traction issues, then my I killed my transmission at the line. Stopped racing the car then.

If you are getting the whole rear worth it imo... put it in, if you like, it sell your stocker off for like $100-200, or even just pull the diff and sell that for $150. So it would be like $50 for an upgrade.

If you hate it, go back to the the 3.23s and sell the rear for what you bought it for. Just wasting time, fluid and a gasket.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X