96 Camaro rear axle swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Camaro rear axle swap

Just wanting to know what I can get away with (easily) as far as a rear axle swap. I like the gearing of the stock rear end but I would love to have rear discs instead of the drums. I need an axle replacement as my rear differnetial is really loud and needs rebuilt (mechanic verified) AND I am not completely sold that the right side of the axle isn't bent.

I've been looking online at junk yards and need to know what to order/pick up.

Thanks
    Um, you mean me?

Re: 96 Camaro rear axle swap

For axles 93-96 axles from a F-body or I think I saw Moser has 93-96 F-body axles that are suppose to be stronger but are like $300 for both. 97-02 are suppose to be different but I haven't tried my 00' axles yet in my 96' Camaro with a differnt rear. I swtiched to discs awhile back so I don't know if the 00' axles would fit.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

an entire 98-02 rear end/axles/ brakes would swap into a 96 wouldn't it?
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I think as long as it is a 3 channel and not one with traction control it would be fine. As along as it as the same setup as he has now.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yea it would work. Look on craigslist dot org, ls1tech, camaroz28, fullthrottlev6 dot com. I can talk for you on those sites so You dont have to sign up if you dont wanna. I saw one near you for $200. Cant remeber what state. I would say buy the disc brake rear and worry no more with your current set up.

~EDIT~
          The rear I saw was either in IN, IL or OH. If I see it again Ill post the link. but they are every where. I would try to get one from a Z28 or SS for the torsion Posi
          Last edited by chevy3504me; 05-20-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I don't know where you are, I went to a U Pull yard in Baton Rouge and found a complete disc rear with a 3.42 posi in a '98 with a 3.8. It cost $173 with a $15 core charge. I returned with an old S10 rear and got the core charge back = $158 :tup:. I have a Snap On portable impact - it took me 45 minutes to take it out. If you go to a wrecking yard and buy a rear, especially a posi, they rope you. You could pay as high as $800 :omg:... DIY baby.
            Last edited by Mad Max; 05-23-2009, 07:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X