Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me fix my new rear end

want to build up this new rear end that i acquired for my 3.4

it was from a 94TA and has an LSD, 3.42 gears, disk brakes and a 19mm rear sway bar.

I want to clean it up, paint it, put NEW rotors and pads on, paint up the calipers, change the gear oil, and fix the mechanical issues with it.

first off there are two mechanical issues wrong with it.

here's a picture of the type of rear i just got.

circled in RED is where it is leaking. I am told it is a pinion seal or something along those lines and that the nut has to be replaced when you replace the seal. anyone know about this?

secondly circled in green is the brake hose that leads to the T fitting on the pumpkin for the two brake lines. Mine is chopped off a few inches after the T fitting, so i do not have the "connector" or whatever it is at the other end of it. Is this line easily replaceable? Can i just use my old one off of my old rear?

I want to get this thing in good shape before i go painting it and buying expensive brakes.

thanks

max

Re: Help me fix my new rear end

Well, this is pretty much what I'm planning on doing with mine once I get around to it. Maybe you can do something similar:

POR15
    TA Girdle
    Royal Purple or GM Differential Fluid
    Limited Slip Additive
    Quality rotors (I'm going with Brembo)
    Quality pads (Hawks HPS are good)
    Paint/PC calipers - rebuild if necessary
    Might also look into some braided stainless lines if you can find the correct fitting.

I can't help you with the mechanical parts, but what I listed above will really clean it up. ;)
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

nice, you got part #'s or prices on all of the above? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        want to build up this new rear end that i acquired for my 3.4

it was from a 94TA and has an LSD, 3.42 gears, disk brakes and a 19mm rear sway bar.

I want to clean it up, paint it, put NEW rotors and pads on, paint up the calipers, change the gear oil, and fix the mechanical issues with it.

first off there are two mechanical issues wrong with it.

here's a picture of the type of rear i just got.

circled in RED is where it is leaking. I am told it is a pinion seal or something along those lines and that the nut has to be replaced when you replace the seal. anyone know about this?

secondly circled in green is the brake hose that leads to the T fitting on the pumpkin for the two brake lines. Mine is chopped off a few inches after the T fitting, so i do not have the "connector" or whatever it is at the other end of it. Is this line easily replaceable? Can i just use my old one off of my old rear?

I want to get this thing in good shape before i go painting it and buying expensive brakes.

thanks

max
        The pinion nut is TTY and just buy a seal for it, I believe on mine there is a T fitting for left and right brakes when I did my drum to disc conversion. But you have a 3.4 just make sure yours looks like the same.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          Well, this is pretty much what I'm planning on doing with mine once I get around to it. Maybe you can do something similar:

POR15
          TA Girdle
          Royal Purple or GM Differential Fluid
          Limited Slip Additive
          Quality rotors (I'm going with Brembo)
          Quality pads (Hawks HPS are good)
          Paint/PC calipers - rebuild if necessary
          Might also look into some braided stainless lines if you can find the correct fitting.

I can't help you with the mechanical parts, but what I listed above will really clean it up. ;)
          That is basicly my setup but get the studs for the rear when you get the TA grirdle easy install and it will beef up the the caps more. I used RP and was told I didn't have to use the gm additive but I did anyway can't hurt anything. I didn't paint anything. I have Earls stainless steel brake line set but haven't installed them yet. I went with Power Slot rotors with some ceramic pads, I'll get around to getting the hoses on here soon just had a problem with the fronts being stuck and couldn't get them apart. So I left it for another day. But you'll have a solid set up once done.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X