torque converter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque converter questions

do you guys know any good places to get a torque converter for my bird???
    also which one will be better on a daily driver
    2100 Stall Vs 2700 Stall ??

Thanks
    headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
    powerdyne supercharger 6psi
    GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
    Hell yea

Re: torque converter questions

Im daily driving my 3200 stall right now...I love it

You can get some good ones from TCI...they are on abbottracings website...I hear performabuilt is pretty good also, yank is another good company to go with...

as far as it being between 2100 to 2700...depends on how much you can handle...

For my 3200 stall when I start off with about 5-10% throttle it slips to about 3g's for about 3-4 seconds until I hit about 40-45km/h...but those are soft starts...if I give it a quick of the throttle (20%) she slips to about 4g's and hits 60km/h in 2 seconds or so...

As far as passing people...I went to pass a guy on the country roads the other day doing 90km/h...gave the car about 20-25% throttle and the car took off. Passed the car the same way I'd pass the car a week earlier had I of floored it....but I also have a cam, and this stall seems to play right into my powerband....
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Some stock stalls will stall to 2400, so anything under a 3000 stall wouldn't be worth it, get a S-10 4 cyl. stall and you'll be around 2800-3000 on a 3.8 engine. I can brake stall mine to 2200 rpms without mashing the gas very hard at all. If I can get my Earls stainless steel lines on I should be able to hit 2400 easy. Fuddle racing has cheaper priced stalls I think for around $300-$400, just have to email them with what you want.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've heard horror stories about fuddle.

Some stock stalls can hit 2400rpm yes, the problem is, is they dont have the STR or "Torque multiplication" of the aftermarket stalls. I think the stock str is like 1.6 or 1.5 something like that...where as the aftermarket stalls can be 2.0-2.5.

Plus the shift extension you get off an aftermarket stall is a huge bonus. I know with the TCI stall I have now I shift out of 1st at 6300rpm and I drop to 4900 rpm...Major difference over the 3xxx rpm I would drop to before...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          I've heard horror stories about fuddle.

Some stock stalls can hit 2400rpm yes, the problem is, is they dont have the STR or "Torque multiplication" of the aftermarket stalls. I think the stock str is like 1.6 or 1.5 something like that...where as the aftermarket stalls can be 2.0-2.5.

Plus the shift extension you get off an aftermarket stall is a huge bonus. I know with the TCI stall I have now I shift out of 1st at 6300rpm and I drop to 4900 rpm...Major difference over the 3xxx rpm I would drop to before...
          If you buy from Fuddle, you have to buy some of the upgraded parts. The basic options were the ones that were failing. Lame, I know. Personally, I would stick with either Performabuilt or TCI, and get it right the first time.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

buy a trans cooler if you are getting a higher stalled converter...doesnt matter the size...the extra heat will wear your trans faster...and coolers are only 30-40$

If you buy from Fuddle, you have to buy some of the upgraded parts. The basic options were the ones that were failing. Lame, I know. Personally, I would stick with either Performabuilt or TCI, and get it right the first time.
            I didnt know that...all I know is when I searched about stalls over on ls1tech and the other forums all I heard were horror stories lol...

you could also visit your local transmission shop and see if they can get you a stall from a local company... I dunno how good those will be though...

Comment

Showdown is running a Fuddle stall with a turbo & nitrous, they had problems with them awhile back but I think they got everything fixed with them. I know he didn't pay too much for it either.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My car I've got a Hypertech programmer,1:8 rockers, a MSD DIS ignition and a CAI a 2800 stall converter will be ok for a daily driver?
                Last edited by fatcat; 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

if you tune the stall correctly it is fine for daily driving...but there will always be slip to it...you just need to ask yourself how much slip you are willing to deal with. Like I said, I just got my custom 3200 stall in, and I daily drive that...and I do a lot of driving. On the highway you dont even notice the stall unless you lay into the throttle...it locks up like normal.

If you are in doubt, there are videos on youtube of people driving with stalls to give you an idea...but best thing you can do is find someone local to you with a stall converter in there car and try it out...

Comment

I'd like as little as possible. I don't race my car but i'd like more off the line power.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X