Tranny flush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny flush?

Well this is my first post, I bought a 98 camaro touring edition and all that special stuff. But my question is the car had 130k miles when i bought it and now its got 135K and I check fluids on a weekly basis and the tranny fluid is pretty burnt. But is it worth getting it flushed out or not? Iv researched for a couple days now and iv gotten mixed answers some saying, it just causes more problems and some say do it a.s.a.p. any suggestions?

Re: Tranny flush?

Flushed mine when mine was pretty dark, although at the time mine only had 60,xxx miles on it. It helped me a lot, no problems yet.....

Comment

The shop at my school uses a fluid exchanger. I don't see how it could possibly be bad for the transmission, it's not like it's pumping it in the wrong direction or anything. Heat is the number one killer of automatics and obviously new fluid does a better job dealing with the heat than old fluid. A new filter probably won't hurt either.
      94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
      97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
      98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

What the fudge is a "touring edition" Camaro? Is that in the Tech database?

If it's burned I would say drain and fill. Flushing may be a little too aggressive IMHO, though some tranny experts say the likelihood of harm coming from exchanging fluids is very remote. (someone can finish that joke for me). If it's burned it's possible that the damage is already done, so I doubt changing it will shorten the life significantly, and if there is not too much harm, the fresh oil will probably do it good.

Usually where most people, including mechanics, get the idea that fluid exchanges are bad from is the correlation of a flush to a failure. But in those cases people are flushing because they have other symptoms of a looming failure and think the flush will prolong the tranny's life, which it could, but unlikely because the damage has been done.

Best thing is to do regular flushes, or regular drain and fills.

Okay, to sum up my position from that rant: Fluid drain and fill with filter change and keep a sample of the fluid and metal flakes on the magnet to show the tranny repair mechanic when it finally fails.
        Last edited by landj; 04-30-2009, 11:32 PM. Reason: forgot to respond to question.

Comment

drain the pan, and replace filter, and reinstall the pan

if the fluid is burnt, your transmission was either abused or is worn, flushing it out is like putting a loaded gun to your head with a broken trigger

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
            What the fudge is a "touring edition" Camaro? Is that in the Tech database?

If it's burned I would say drain and fill. Flushing may be a little too aggressive IMHO, though some tranny experts say the likelihood of harm coming from exchanging fluids is very remote. (someone can finish that joke for me). If it's burned it's possible that the damage is already done, so I doubt changing it will shorten the life significantly, and if there is not too much harm, the fresh oil will probably do it good.

Usually where most people, including mechanics, get the idea that fluid exchanges are bad from is the correlation of a flush to a failure. But in those cases people are flushing because they have other symptoms of a looming failure and think the flush will prolong the tranny's life, which it could, but unlikely because the damage has been done.

Best thing is to do regular flushes, or regular drain and fills.

Okay, to sum up my position from that rant: Fluid drain and fill with filter change and keep a sample of the fluid and metal flakes on the magnet to show the tranny repair mechanic when it finally fails.
            flushing a transmission out removes the dirt that is lodged in the trans which take up space from wear, and form a "protective" coat

when you do the flush, it removes all of that crud, and then gives you metal to metal contact with play, which means the trans will die a lot sooner

you're right, never do a flush unless it has been done regularly.. same goes with engine oil, never use seafoam in it unless you have been using it since the beginning

many people seem to have a problem with those statements for unknown reasons.. but really do a search for seafoam and engine oil, you will see a ton of people asking why their engine is now ticking after they used seafoam

Comment

Throw some Royal purple tranny fluid in there, I'm using Valvoline Dexron VI syntheic and its been great, if I wasn't in a hurry at the time it would of been RP in there.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Alrite thanks, ill probably go ahead and change the fluid and the fliter then.

Comment

Good luck :D
                  Leonard
                  www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X