a4 transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a4 transmission problem

Awhile back, I was getting the p1870 code along with the harsh shifts (all gears worked, just harsh shifting after long periods of driving). So I got the Trans-go HD2 shift kit and installed it. After that, no more harsh shifting or codes.

When I test drove the car for the first time after installing the shift kit, I didn't have the snap-ring on the servo properly secured and the servo cap came loose and sprayed all 5 quarts of transmission fluid down the road. So the transmission ran with little to no fluid for about 2 miles. During those 2 miles, it ran out and I had to put another quart in and then it ran out again but at that point, I was able to coast down hill to my house. The next day, I replaced the o-ring on servo, properly secured the snap-ring, and filled it up with 5 quarts of transmission fluid and some lucas transmission additive.

Only one problem though, 3rd gear is acting kind of weird. It feels the car shifts 4 times as if it had 5 gears. When it goes to shift into 3rd, it does a soft shift and then a sec or two later, it feels like a normal firm shift, and then eventually it shifts into 4th just fine. It doesn't leak and the fluid is full. So does anyone know what's going on?

Note: While installing shift kit, I used one shim for the servo and 2 spacers in trans (the very firm setting).

Re: a4 transmission problem

Tap the brake just enough to make the brake lights come on while your still on the gas cruising. See if you feel a bump again after you let off the brake. If you do,the forth shift is your converter locking up. The shift kit probably made it lock up harder.
    sigpic

Comment

Ok, so I went out and tried that today, and it resulted in what you were describing as the converter locking up. I also tested it with the shifter in 3rd (no OD) and it resulted in the same way. I don't know how the converter is supposed to act but I think I read somewhere on the forums that the converter is only supposed to lockup in 4th. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Is there something wrong with my transmission?

Comment

The converter can be set to lock up in any gear. However, the factory settings only make it lock up in 3rd and 4th gear. Seems the shift kit made it lock up harder.
        sigpic

Comment

So I guess there is nothing wrong with my trans lol. Thanks for your help man!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X