Tranny help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny help!

Hi i have 1995 3.8 automatic FIREBIRD and im just wondering if any year 4l60e trannsmission out of a firebird will bolt on...... i found a used 1996 firebird tranny for $250 so i really wanna pick that up if if will bolt right on.
    Any feedback would be great thx

Re: Tranny help!

is it from another 3.8L automatic firebird? then yes...

not any year will fit 1995.5-2002 will fit and it can be from a camaro or firebird

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

it will work

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

98 and up uses a bolt on bell housing that is different from 97 and down.
        sigpic

Comment

When I had my 96' M5, I had a 00' M5 tranny replacement when I blew 3rd gear, then swapped to a A4 02' tranny with no problems on my 96' Camaro. All the bell housings bolted up fine, no problems.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It will work so go pick it up.

Comment

Might as well and find like a 02' with low miles on it , I got mine with 9,000 miles for $430 with tax. Had a Transgo HD2 & Vette servo put in and some extra work done to it for $160 to beef it up alittle and with Hptuners and reprograming it, it is a monster on shifts at WOT. So if you want to do upgrades to it have it done while it is out of the car, costs alot less.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

"When I had my 96' M5, I had a 00' M5 tranny replacement when I blew 3rd gear, then swapped to a A4 02' tranny with no problems on my 96' Camaro. All the bell housings bolted up fine, no problems."

You think that the swap from a M5 to an A4 would make a difference in a 95 then just swapping over A4 to A4 from 97-02 and on? Just wondering because of what LETZRIDE and Bigbrian442 posted
                Last edited by blk95; 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

It will work but you will need the braces that go from the sides of the motor to the lower bell housing and the cooler lines have a snap ring with an o ring seal instead of a flare fitting. You may also need the torque arm bracket and trans cross member.
                  sigpic

Comment

^ Correct for the M5 to A4 swap you have to cut off 2 braces one on each side,easy to do with a grinder, for the tranny lines I got some rubber tranny lines from Napa and just used barbed fitting /hose clamps up to the radiator, mine was all ready swapped out with a aftermarket when I had a radiator leak and that one came with the tranny cooler connections, if not a new radiator will be needed. I also got a B&M super cooler to help tranny temps here in AZ. The TQ arm I didn't have to worry about since I run a UMI tunnel mount , the M5 from the 00' TQarm worked with my 96' but the auto's I think might be setup different. Also my trans crossmember fit the 00' tranny and the 02' tranny so that was good.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-30-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X