Posi Traction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posi Traction

I have a stock 94 V6 rearend...what ive heared is that I can redo the gears and make the car spin both wheels. If thats not true is there anyway I can make the rearend I have a posi traction?

Re: Posi Traction

You need a new carrier, you can take the whole rear end out of a v8 model and bolt it up to yours. Or you can find a used differential, or a new one and install it into your existing rear end. There's a lot of info in the faq here on the board about it. I know cause I was just researching it for my install here real soon. I'm getting a new one myself from a dealership. I just can't trust anyone online anymore.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

OR you can buy a v8

:rock:

Mods:
      Slp Dual Cold Air Intake
      Racing Stripes
      Flowmaster Exhaust [2.5 Pipes, Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler]
      Camaro Fill Ins
      Black Outs
      Tint

Comment

Originally posted by sceneiskeen View Post
        OR you can buy a v8

:rock:
        There's always that. But it sure is fun to be the underdog and eat the competition. However, that's probably an imports motto.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I put one in the end of last year and have been very happy with it. Put snow meats on her and didn't get stuck at all. During the warm months, I've found that it has about the same piece of mind as when I took out the 2-piece driveshaft and installed an aluminum 1-piece. I expect, though, with the new motor, it should plant the tires a little better. All in all, a bit more solid feel.

Comment

Well, there are lots of ways to keep from being a three legged dog...:D. First, depending on how well you know a tool set, you can go to a u pull yard and look for a posi rear out of most 5th gen fimaros. A disc brake rear is way cool. First, look in the glove box at the codes. Most G codes are rear end axle ratios. GU4 is 3.08, GU 5 is 3.23, GT 6 is 3.42, I don't remember all of the codes (they're on line in a google search and I'm sure someone has posted them here) BUT look for the G80 code = POSI. Actually, it's probably a gov loc unit (not a clutch type) which is prone to grenading in higher power applications. If you want something real easy but more $$, try Summit, PAW or Jegs for a spider gear replacement unit. It bolts in with no gear set up, but is also prone to grenading under higher power appliocations. I think it's called a trac loc. You can buy it on Ebay too. There are lots of posis on Ebay. Prob is shipping $$.
            Remember also, consider gear ratio. If you're on the highway alot, 3.73 is the outer limit of gearing. 3.42 is better and is pretty common on 5 speed cars. The carriers are the same on a ton of GM cars from 1978 to 95. Also, you can't just hum a set of gears in, or switch carriers. They have to have pinion depth set with shims on the pinion gear and have side play set on the carrier bearings. If you don't - :tdown:. I have an S 10 :o with a 3.4 and am looking for a posi now. It just spins the tire or tires (when it's in the mood) at the track and I lose all kindsa time. The way it's set up now, I have hit a 16.00 flat. With a 3.73 posi, maybe a high 14 :bs:
            Yeah, if you race, posi is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
              Well, there are lots of ways to keep from being a three legged dog...:D. First, depending on how well you know a tool set, you can go to a u pull yard and look for a posi rear out of most 5th gen fimaros. A disc brake rear is way cool. First, look in the glove box at the codes. Most G codes are rear end axle ratios. GU4 is 3.08, GU 5 is 3.23, GT 6 is 3.42, I don't remember all of the codes (they're on line in a google search and I'm sure someone has posted them here) BUT look for the G80 code = POSI. Actually, it's probably a gov loc unit (not a clutch type) which is prone to grenading in higher power applications. If you want something real easy but more $$, try Summit, PAW or Jegs for a spider gear replacement unit. It bolts in with no gear set up, but is also prone to grenading under higher power appliocations. I think it's called a trac loc. You can buy it on Ebay too. There are lots of posis on Ebay. Prob is shipping $$.
              Remember also, consider gear ratio. If you're on the highway alot, 3.73 is the outer limit of gearing. 3.42 is better and is pretty common on 5 speed cars. The carriers are the same on a ton of GM cars from 1978 to 95. Also, you can't just hum a set of gears in, or switch carriers. They have to have pinion depth set with shims on the pinion gear and have side play set on the carrier bearings. If you don't - :tdown:. I have an S 10 :o with a 3.4 and am looking for a posi now. It just spins the tire or tires (when it's in the mood) at the track and I lose all kindsa time. The way it's set up now, I have hit a 16.00 flat. With a 3.73 posi, maybe a high 14 :bs:
              Yeah, if you race, posi is required.

Correct your bad info.

RPO codes are on the drivers door of a 4th gen F body, not in the glove box.

In 1988 1/2 GM changed the axle spine count on the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 10 bolt rears from 26 to 28 splines. So there in no interchange other than the ring and pinion between the two spline counts.

93 to 98 F cars that came with a posi from the factory had Auburn units. While 99 and up cars came with a Zexel-Torsen unit. The GM auburn unit is the same standard Auburn unit sold by the speed shops. Auburn also makes a stronger after market only Pro series unit with larger spider and axle gears.

The Gov loc posi units mostly came in trucks and SUV's and should be avoided because they are much weaker then the others. The trucks and SUV's rears on the other hand also came with 3:42, 3:73 and 4:10 gears. So if you get the whole package cheap it would be worth it.
              Last edited by bigbrian442; 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

5th gens shouldnt be in wrecking yards yet^

basically like already stated you need a new carrier...you can go with more or less 3 different units, zexel torsen, auburn, or eaton posi diffs. Most v8's came with either a torsen, or a auburn...I forget the years of the v8's that had which though. I reccommend finding and installing a zexel...reason being is because zexel posi's work off of worm based gears...unless you break the posi unit, it never has to be replaced and neither do any parts. Auburns on the other hand are a little better for racing and such because of the clutch packs they have...the downside to these clutch packs is that they have to be replaced every 30,000miles or so...more often if you are racing and really using them.

after you select out your posi unit...then you can consider gears since you will already be in there...there is a gear calculator site that you can go to which will show you approximatly what you will rev at in each gear.

your basic selection of gears is as follows: 2.73's; 3.08s; 3.42's; 3.73's; 3.90's; 4.10's; 4.56's...you have either 3.08's or 3.42's right now depending on your codes on the door. if you have a 5 speed you can still run something like a 3.90 or 4.10 gear and be ok as far as milage goes...but like anything how you drive has a big factor on your end milage...so choose according to how you drive.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

jw, how do you know that it has 3.08 or 3.42? didnt some come with 3.23?
                  ^
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I guess my memory serves me poorly. I did buy a 'posi' out of a supposed 93 Camaro that was a gov loc. I was also told that they didn't put anything but gov locs in all cars and trucks after 91. Maybe someone should check that. I can't claim to be a Camaro expert - I definately am not, so excuse me for any inacurate info.

Comment

our cars came with zexel torsen i believe
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                        I guess my memory serves me poorly. I did buy a 'posi' out of a supposed 93 Camaro that was a gov loc. I was also told that they didn't put anything but gov locs in all cars and trucks after 91. Maybe someone should check that. I can't claim to be a Camaro expert - I definately am not, so excuse me for any inacurate info.
                        93-98 cars received the Auburn clutch-style differential. 99-02 got the Zexel-Torsen worm gear differential. Gov Loc can be purchased and installed aftermarket, but I'm pretty sure they didn't come stock on the 4th gen F-bodies. Not sure on trucks though.

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                        ^
                        RPO codes should tell what came in the car. 3.23s came on 3.4 cars and the 3.8s with a manual transmission. They were also in some of the manual v8 cars.
                        Last edited by pace2006; 04-01-2009, 06:53 PM.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                          ^
                          My 96' M5 came with 3.23's, Go with a Torsen Diff. they are great hold up real well and can be rebuilt. I have 3.73's right now and it is a great gear for city and highway if you stay around 70mph to 75 mph on the highway.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yea the manuals have 3.23's

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

You know... I was at the U Pull yard looking for a posi. I saw 4th gens with the codes in the glove box, on the door AND in the console between seats. I might not know everything, but I was pretty sure that the codes are in the box sometimes. Some of the cars I saw had been color change repainted, so no door codes anymore.
                              Please note: no :bs:. My info was correct, I don't know why GM was ****ing around with code locations, BUT I saw them in person. I can provide pics to back up my statement. I am not an F body expert as some claim to be, but I do know what I post is not BS.

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              Correct your bad info.

RPO codes are on the drivers door of a 4th gen F body, not in the glove box.

In 1988 1/2 GM changed the axle spine count on the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 10 bolt rears from 26 to 28 splines. So there in no interchange other than the ring and pinion between the two spline counts.

93 to 98 F cars that came with a posi from the factory had Auburn units. While 99 and up cars came with a Zexel-Torsen unit. The GM auburn unit is the same standard Auburn unit sold by the speed shops. Auburn also makes a stronger after market only Pro series unit with larger spider and axle gears.

The Gov loc posi units mostly came in trucks and SUV's and should be avoided because they are much weaker then the others. The trucks and SUV's rears on the other hand also came with 3:42, 3:73 and 4:10 gears. So if you get the whole package cheap it would be worth it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X