tranny questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny questions...

as some of you guys know I will be getting work done on my transmission soon...a vette servo put in, and a custom stall as well...

But I was wondering..when they pull the transmission down they will be inspecting it to make sure that everything is ok with it...if something is say wrong with the clutch packs or w.e...can I get something that is more high performance? or can I change the gears inside the transmission somehow?

Just a thought...I wanna be ready with some back up plans if they start telling me I should replace parts (assuming they really do need to be replaced, because I will inspect them myself at the shop at that time...)

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: tranny questions...

The shop can change the stall, replace the pump seal and put the Vette servo in with out taking the trans apart. If they dissemble the trans just to look at it, it would be advisable to put a paper and rubber kit in. The paper and rubber kit is all the drum seals, gaskets, Teflon rings and metal clad seals in the trans. If they do take it apart just to check the clutches, are they going to fix it for free if it doesn't work like it did before they " looked" at it? Saying "we are going to take a look at the internals" sounds like a set up to increase your bill and when your trans is apart on their bench, your at their mercy.

There are lots of heavy duty parts made for the 4L60E. It comes down to how much you want to spend. Stock clutches and gears should be fine. The red Alto clutches are an upgrade, but more then 2 times the price of stock. They do have a Kevlar lined 2/4 heavy duty band that is a good idea even in a stock rebuild. 4L65E gears are stronger if you have the GM gear sets, but very expensive and they don't change the ratio's. They have 5 planet gears instead of 4 like the 4L60E. These came mostly in trucks and also take more power to turn because of more weight. You can also upgrade to a 13 vane pump from the stock 10 vane. More vanes in the pump means more fluid volume. Then there is the aftermarket sun gear shell and all kinds of shift kits that come with different things to make it shift harder.
    sigpic

Comment

^^This guy knows more about transmissions than anyone else I know^^
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

so..is there a way to change the gear ratio`s??

Comment

One company was working on a higher first gear,2.84 from the stock 3.06 but the release date is 3/09 and they have no pricing on their web sight.

Around the middle of the page.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm

This page also has ALL the upgrades for a 4L60E you can get. You might find better pricing other places but this is a good listing of upgrades.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
            ^^This guy knows more about transmissions than anyone else I know^^
            Brian knows more about these cars in general, then anyone I know...helped me enough times with just about everything I ever had trouble with...

That is a pretty lengthy list of things there...I wish that site was a little more organizedthough ...

I didnt realize that the shop could change all that stuff with the tranny still up there...

I have a slow trans leak...what are the odds you think it would be that pump seal?

and do you think they could reach the rear main seal without pullin the trans down either?...I would much rather them not pull the trans down to be honest...start disturbing things that dont want to be touched and you end up with problems...the car has 209k (km) on it...as does the tranny...

I doubt anything is wrong with the clutch paks or anything like that...the car shifts fine, except the 1-2 shift is getting a little more pronounced...probably due to the fact that the level of the fluid is decreasing...

I just was just curious if someone had something like gears for the tranny that were aftermarket that I could put in, in the event of the tranny needing a rebuild...

as far as all the other beefing up stuff goes...I dont think I really need anything else...the cars going to stay N/A, and I'll probably do the intake manifold and heads next year, or the year after...its not a crazy set-up...looking for bascially 12's NA...I think the trans should handle that power without being beefed up really...

edit: isn't going from a 3.06 gear to a 2.84 going lower? I thought you would want to go to something like a 4.xx or something to that extent to go faster?
            Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-13-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

They have to pull the trans out of the car to put the converter in. They can do the pump seal and servo with out taking the trans apart. Taking the trans apart and taking it out are different. If they do take it apart, with that mileage there is a good chance it will need some clutches. The Vette servo will tighten up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

There is a very good chance that the leak is the pump seal.

Gear ratio's are backwards 3:1 is lower than 2:1.
              sigpic

Comment

weird...I didnt seen stock clutches on that site (maybe I over looked it)...how much do you think something like that would cost if that needed to be replaced (part wise), and how many hours of labour?

I need to get this work done...but the last thing i want to get stuck with is like a 1000+$ bill thats gunna hurt...

Comment

You can get a stock rebuild kit off ebay for about $150 usd. It would have most of what you need. There is allot more to replace if your rebuilding then just the clutches. Most shops around here would charge over $1500 if they remove and disassemble the trans just to give it back in the trunk still apart. The last 4L60E I rebuilt I had about $700 in parts alone and it was just a bit over stock when done. Trans shops mark parts up about 400%. I would let them swap converters replace the pump seal and servo, but not pull the pump out of the trans. 4L60E are close to needing a rebuild around 100,000 miles. Some do go longer, sometimes allot longer, but most are due by that mileage. An external trans cooler is a must with a stall.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    You can get a stock rebuild kit off ebay for about $150 usd. It would have most of what you need. There is allot more to replace if your rebuilding then just the clutches. Most shops around here would charge over $1500 if they remove and disassemble the trans just to give it back in the trunk still apart. The last 4L60E I rebuilt I had about $700 in parts alone and it was just a bit over stock when done. Trans shops mark parts up about 400%. I would let them swap converters replace the pump seal and servo, but not pull the pump out of the trans. 4L60E are close to needing a rebuild around 100,000 miles. Some do go longer, sometimes allot longer, but most are due by that mileage. An external trans cooler is a must with a stall.
                    well...my milage in miles is 130ish, so Im wayy past that point...The only thing is it shifts perfect...except for like i said the 1-2 shift is getting a little more pronounced...but the level of oil is also going down, so I kind of expect that...

The fluid looks great...if it was not for the little oil leak, this thing wouldnt even make a hiccup...

Comment

The mechanic that put my shift kit & servo in while I was waiting to do the M5 to A4 swap did some upgrades to mine since he had it apart. He said he replace some plastic parts with metal ones and went over everything real well. He has been working on trannys for 40 years, so he knew his stuff, only paid $160 for the job. I think my next thing will be a stall , local for $290 billet 9", which with 3.73 gears will put me at about 3000-3200 range.
                      Last edited by ssms5411; 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                        The fluid looks great...if it was not for the little oil leak, this thing wouldnt even make a hiccup...
                        what was the reason for your little leak
                        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          4 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X